PDA

View Full Version : Bento Boxes at reusablebags.com--are they worth it?

applesauce
09-10-2007, 01:30 PM
They seem so expensive even with the code. Are they worth it? I would love to hear from someone who has them. Thanks.

JacksMommy
09-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, it all depends on what you call worth it. Can you get GLAD resuable tupperware for a lot less? Absolutely! Do you NEED the bento box? No. Do we love ours and I would I buy them again? Absolutely. We have the Laptop Lunch system for both my kids (not sure if they have other systems at RB), and I think it's great.

Reasons why I love our Laptop lunch system:
1. The presentation is awesome - even PBJ, carrots, apples and salad look delectable when presented in a LL box.
2. I love not having to find the right size tupperware and matching lid to a bunch of little containers in the morning before school. The LL containers are dedicated to the kids' lunches, so they don't wind up in the fridge with other things in them when I need them.
3. It's easy for kids to notice when a piece of the box gets left out. They are MUCH less likely to leave these at school than with regular tupperware. And when they do get left, people know they are ours and return them (this did not always happen with tupperware, even though they were marked)
4. I love packing them! And I love that the four containers challenge me to find something different for each one.

That being said, DH, who used to do the lunches, is super relieved to be "free from the tyranny of the bento." Guess he couldn't take th pressure, LOL.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away

deannanb
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
>4. I love packing them! And I love that the four containers
>challenge me to find something different for each one.

I agree! I have 3 full boxes - blue outside and 4 insides (1 with lid).

I bought it thinking "I can be green" - and it makes me feel better that I'm not sending ziplock plastic bags to school - which just get thrown out. and it has cut down on my buying the prepackaged chips, cookies, etc. I have started buying larger containers of the "junk food" or making my own. Blueberry muffins are a favorite!

It also helps with portion control! The kids really don't need as much food as I was sending to school. they get enough of good foods to keep them full....

Every time I pack DS's lunch, people always ask where I got my lunch box. they think it is a great idea

I'm sure I'll think of something else and I'll ETA.

caheinz
09-10-2007, 10:36 PM
>4. I love packing them! And I love that the four containers
>challenge me to find something different for each one.

For now, the boxes are for DH and I, and I'm more likely to pack mine up -- and this is what I love! It's fun to eat a varied lunch, and to hunt for things that will fit. The days I don't take it, I take a sandwich and maybe a banana. I take a lot of different things with this!

teddy
09-11-2007, 09:31 PM
The customer service at reusablebags.com is great. So that also makes it worth it!

ehmom
09-13-2007, 08:18 AM
i just got my kids these boxes at target. they are the same idea as a bento box, but a bit more simple. there is a divider down the middle that is adjustable that keeps things separate. it meets up with the lid at the top, so if the box turns sideways, things stay separated. they ere $9.99 at target.
hth!
http://www.aladdin-pmi.com/shop/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=79