PDA

View Full Version : Board games for 2 1/2 year old?

smilla653
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
My son will be 2 1/2 at Christmas, and I was wondering if he'd be old enough to enjoy a board game or two at Christmas. They all usualyl say for 3 and up, but are some conceptually manageable for a 2 1/2 year old? I'd especially love a recc for a European game (like something by HABA, selecta, or Ravensburger).

deannanb
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I brought out the games around 2.5.
We have played Don't Break the Ice and Ants in Your Pants.
when DS was able to count and recognize numbers, I pulled out Hi Ho cherry O.
I have cooties and memory- but haven't taken them out yet

mamaecb
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Hilde,
This isn't exactly a board game, but we got this Chelona matching/memory game for Henry for his 2nd birthday: http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/C52301/Chelona-Meadow-Memory-Game.html

It is actually several-games-in-one, as there are two boards that both have pictures on both sides. They range in difficulty -- at 26 months, Henry is doing the "easiest" one (and not really following proper game "etiquette" or rules LOL), but he definitely is getting the concept. It is a beautiful, sturdy game that I expect will get used for the next couple of years around here.

I will be watching for other suggestions for this age group -- great question!

HTH,
Emilie, mama to Henry

hellokitty
09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
You know, it depends so much upon the individual child. I know only a few children at that age that could play board games, most of them were girls. My 3.5 yr old son is still too impatient to sit still long enough to listen and play a board game. My mom got him the ravensburger snail game for his 2nd birthday and it's a VERY easy game, but my son is so obsessed with playing with the different pieces that we have not been able to actually play the the way it is supposed to be played. If your child is up for the challenge, you can certainly try. However, do not be surprised if he does not take to it, if not, just put it away and try again later. I try every 6 months, lol.

californiagirl
09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
The three and up recommendation is usually mostly about small parts. Snail Race or Apple Orchard *might* work. And Hiss, which isn't a board game, started more-or-less working for us at around that age (and has no small pieces, always a plus.) But games are still pretty hit-and-miss for us at 3 1/2...

babyready
09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
My 2 1/2 year old dd can do some games. Card matching games go pretty well. We picked up the Goodnight Moon game and has been perfect. It is kind of like matching but without the memory aspect of it. I think it actually has the age range beginning with 2 1/2.

Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!

wendmatt
09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
DD loved candyland which she got on her third b-day. If your DS is able to sit and play a board game, it's perfect with the colors. DD had the Dora version and was a fave for at least a year.

kaitlinsmommy
09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Really depends on the child. DD didn't really catch on to board games until she was 4, but ds is not yet 2 1/2 & plays with us when he has the patience because he has watched us so much (and Candyland is great for him because he knows colors).

I was actually going to recommend a Selecta game. We have the multi memory game & he LOVES it! It's really beautiful & a lot of fun. I highly recommend a matching game like that for the age (and you can just start out with a few matches).

new_mommy25
09-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Elefun is great for a 2.5 year old.

DDowning
09-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Not so great for mom who has to pick up all the pieces and put them back in though! :P We had this and I remember I would take colored napkins and make my own butterflies to make the game last longer in between fills.

chunkychow
09-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Thank you (I think) for suggesting to the rest of us the www.oompa.com web site. I had never heard of it and have now killed about an hour on it and don't think I will ever be able to buy another toy in America. Great info about where the toys are made if you are concerned about China.
FYI - I called Fisher Price yesterday to ask about toys from 20 - 30 years ago that my mom had saved from my childhood and they said that none of those toys were made with lead paint.

betsydenny
09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
If you can stand the mechanical quacking sound, my kids adore Lucky Ducks. It is a color matching game where the ducks go round in a circle quacking and you pick one up to see if the sticker on the bottom matches the color on your lily pad.
it really is a great game, good matching skills and taking turns and it doesn't last too long- my DS at 3 has no patience for candy land or the like but LOVES this game. But I have to admit that I get tired of the fake quacking mechanical sound. If it were silent, we would play constantly.

Oh, another one we love is Zingo. It is kind of like Bingo but with pictures. DS could definitely play this at 2.5yrs.

HTH!
Betsy

teddy
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
My DS (2.5 yo) LOVES Zingo! We also play Candyland, Hi Ho Cherry-o, and Lucky Ducks.

He really really likes Cariboo. The easier level has you finding shapes and colors. The harder level has you finding things that start with a particular letter. So depending on where your son is in recognizing these things, it's a great game. My 4.5 yo DD loves playing it with her brother.

ajmom
09-14-2007, 09:20 PM
We have several games that others have mentioned- Lucky Ducks is a favorite around here. We have a couple of different versions of Memory, but I wouldn't recommend that for a 2 1/2 yr. old. I personally find playing Cariboo similar to taking a beating, and the boys don't really love it. My mother recently bought the boys a Brown Bear Brown Bear, Polar Bear Polar Bear game that is simple matching and the boys LOVE it!! Also, it's not a board game, but if you can find the Oreo Mathing Middles game, it's good too. Finally Family Bingo is a good one. It has words and pictures that make it super easy.

kitmama
09-15-2007, 09:12 AM
This isn't exactly a game, but you could play it taking turns- which is a good skill to practice at this age, LOL! It says 3 and up but I am considering it for my 2 year old. . . I think he would like it.

Varialand:
http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1337/.f

It's kind of like a puzzle, but with infinite ways of putting it together.