PDA

View Full Version : Do you follow the recommended age for toys?

veronica
09-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Just curious since I see a lot of posts on dolls and kitchens for DD's less than 2 years old and I can't find any toys like that for under 3 years old. I'd love to get these type of toys for DD who is 22 months-any suggestions on ones with ages of 2?

brittone2
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Nope, but DS was not a big mouther of toys after about 12 months. A lot of the regulations in terms of recommended ages are CYA for the manufacturers. The safety standards are a little more lax for 3+, so a lot of manufacturers use 3+ for the recommended age.

I think it comes down to knowing your child. If they are a big mouther at 3, I wouldn't give them small stuff even if the package said it was safe for that age. If my child didn't mouth much and I could supervise closely, I personally would be okay with giving a child a toy at a younger age than the packaging specifies.

DS started playing w/ his kitchen at 15 months. If you anchor it to the wall, IMO there isn't a whole lot to worry about. Ditto for dolls. As long as the outfits, etc don't have buttons that can be pulled off and eaten, many won't be a hazard.

Not everyone is comfortable with that though, so do what works for you.

californiagirl
09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
There are dolls that don't have the age limit. DD has a Calin (not this one, but another in the same line: http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail.asp?item=63%20COR%2023230&catid=421&fromsearch=true ) which is marked 18 months and up.

That said, I don't pay much attention to age limits because DD was never a big chewer, and for a kitchen, she got a cardboard box and some pots from Ikea (not the toy ones; they offended her -- for the same price as 6 toy pans, she got 2 real pans).

gatorruth
09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I am on the other side of the issue. If you give a child a toy that he's not ready for, it causes MAJOR frustration sometimes. For example, my aunt gave DS an awesome wooden crane when he turned 2. The box said for ages 3 and up. Cole tried to use it for a few minutes and he just couldn't maneuver the darn thing. He didnt' have the dexterity to work it. So, we put it in the basement for a year and brought it out when he was 3. Perfect!!

Just another opinion...

LarsMal
09-11-2007, 01:17 PM
We've done this, too! Last year he got a toy for Christmas (he was 4months) that was for 1+, so we put it away and wrapped it up for his b-day!!! We've done that more than once!

That said, DS wasn't much of a chewer, either, so I tend to buy him stuff that he'll "grow into". I gave him his Mr. Potato Head set before the suggested age and we would play with it together or he would just stick pieces in randomly. Now, months later, he can do it the right way. DD's favorite toys (at 8 months) are the Mr. Potato Head pieces. She likes to dig in the box and throw them around. I guess the age thing went out the window the second time around!

brittone2
09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
nak-
ITA. However, IMO the problem is that the age recommendations aren't always developmentally appropriate. Sometimes toys are labeled 3+ simply to make it easier on the manufacturer and decrease their liability, even if they could be used appropriately by a younger child. If I know it is something my child can handle developmentally, I don't hesitate to give it prior to the recommended age if I can supervise and I feel that the toy is safe for *my* child at that time.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Yes. I didn't give ds toys that were 3+ till he was 3+ (nor did I give him popcorn or other possible choking hazard foods till then). I think about the # or moms on here who said their recalled Thomas trains had teeth marks and such on them and I would think that I was glad that I waited to buy those kind of toys till ds was older. ETA_ of course, those weren't recalled for small parts!

But, like a pp said, if your child doesn't like to mouth toys then I wouldn't worry as much.

I didn't follow recommendations that weren't for choking hazards though. ETA- I also agree that some of the recommendations do make sense b/c the toy could be frustrating.

Beth

Percycat
09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
My dd turned 2 last year and I wanted to get her a bitty baby doll with matching little girl clothes. The recommended age is 3. I called the manufacturer because I couldn't figure out the safety hazard for this doll and was told that the age was set because most children can't manipulate dressing the doll until they are at least three. I decided to wait, but someone else didn't, and we received a doll and a few outfits last year. Bitty Baby has been naked for most of the year because my dd loves to take off the clothes and put on diapers, but can't redress her. I doubt she will be able to redress the doll by herself for SEVERAL more months.

I did buy her a play crib and high chair. Someone else bought her a stroller. These toys have been played with constantly with various dolls and stuffed animals. She also has some play dishes and loves to set up a little table and have dinner/tea parties with her toys. My daughter also loves dress up clothes and shoes. She has become quite able in dressing herself in the play clothes (a skill that is helping us dress in real clothes). She will be 3 in February 2008.

All this to say, I think the age recommendations have value in addition to safety concerns. The American Doll customer service representative was correct in advising me to wait to purchase the Bitty Baby doll. I expect DD will enjoy it much more next year than she has this past year.

Marisa6826
09-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I use the manufacturer recommendations as 'suggestions' and then base my purchase decision of whether or not I feel the toy is appropriate for the child in I have in mind. Then again, my kids never tried to put things in their mouths excessively. Climb things, yes. Eat them, not so much. ;)

The Corelle Calin and Tidoo dolls are really nice for toddlers. I've found them at Learning Express (if you want to see them IRL) and you can get them cheaper on kidsurplus.com. They DON'T have them at Toys R'Us (I learned that the hard way by searching the aisles for over an hour one day). Another good one is Manhattan Toy's Stella Doll. I happened to really like the Stella one, since it's pretty cuddly and soft - almost bordering on stuffed animal soft.

http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Tidoo-Bright-Bald-Baby/dp/B000F5FK14/ref=pd_sbs_t_2/105-0597782-5135605

http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Calin-Charming-Pastel-Bald/dp/B000AM2L1O/ref=pd_sbs_t_4_img/105-0597782-5135605

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Stella-Nurturing-Doll/dp/B00067U1UG/ref=pd_sbs_t_3_img/105-0597782-5135605?ie=UTF8&qid=1190174569&sr=1-2

Costco has Kidcraft kitchens right now for less than $150. Go fast, though, because they don't have many left in stock. They are quite appropriate for that age, since they're not very tall. The Kidcraft ones are almost identical to the Pottery Barn Kid ones, by the way.

Hope that helps

-m