PDA

View Full Version : Learning Tower vs. Kitchen Helper???

happy2bamom
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Does anyone own either of these items? What can you tell me about them? What do you like, what don't you like? I would like to get one for DS birthday, but I don't know which is the better product. Any reviews would be helpful. I like that the Kitchen Helper folds-up for easy storage, but I wonder if that feature makes it less sturdy and/or durable. TIA

Jo..
09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a learning tower and we love it. Adam stands in it and watches me work in the kitchen instead of pulling up on the back of my legs (sooo annoying).

If I recall correctly, some of the key differences are:
Kitchen Helper is smaller and folds. Only one child can stand in it at time (vs the Learning Tower which accomodates two). i think I read somewhere that the height adjustment on the Kitchen Helper is a little more difficult (with the Learning Tower the platform can be easily moved up or down a notch in seconds).

My Learning Tower was a CraigsList find ($20!!!) and I am the THIRD owner. It is still in perfect shape, it's a real workhorse. It weighs a ton and is insanely sturdy. I could stand in it.

BeachBum
09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a LT and extremely pleased. I love that it is so sturdy. DS does all kinds of climbing on there that is not safe, but it doesn't tip over. For me the folding feature wouldn't be very valuable. I love that the LT is the "go to" spot to snack, get a drink, use playdough etc. DS knows he can go there to find/use those things. I like having it always available for him.

I'm not familiar with the KH, but I would recommend the LT without hesitation.

DDowning
09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
The inability to raise the platform height easily and quickly is the one reason that shies me away from the KH. The KH has screws that need to be undone/redone each time if you want to raise or lower the platform which, to me, would be a bit of a pain to do. The LT is much more easily adjustable depending on the height needed for the particular child using it. If you have one child this feature is easily overlooked and the benefits of being able to fold and stow away is optimal. If you have more than one, it becomes more of an issue. My DD is only 20 months younger than my DS and she's pretty tiny and needs the extra lift the top level provided. My son needs to have it on the lowest level otherwise it becomes top heavy.

EvaMC
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
My 2 1/2 year old loves his Learning Tower. I love it too except I have a small kitchen so it takes up alot of space. Not the chairs fault of course :) Its extremely sturdy and I actually recently stood on it to clean my window sill!

I must say I am tempted to see the kitchen helper (due to it folding), but mine was a major bargain, I picked it up at my area thrift store like new!

ilovetivo
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I have a KH and LOVE it. DD can get in and out of it easily. It's light and dd can move it where she wants it (me there) b/c we put felt pads on the bottom. My friend has one too and she loves it too. They used it for a puppet theater also.

There's an excellent comparison btwn the 2 at http://www.safetystools.com/comparing-safety-stools/ The blog has good info too

I know of a current coupon deal for the KH - mod can I post it? PM me if you want the retailer's info

slr
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
That link is great. I am debating whether or not I want to spend the money on this type of item. My friend had a learning tower and loved it, but now thinks it is too big for their current home. Do you find yourself leaving the kitchen helper open at all times, or do you fold it up often? Would it be easy to fold up on a regular basis, or does it take some time and effort?

Thanks,

SR

ilovetivo
09-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I leave mine open at all times. DD uses it many times a day. There's a screw you can leave in the platform if you do this. My kitchen is small.

My friend keeps the screw out so she can open and close it a lot. She says her kitchen is smaller.

The screw (there's only one for the platform) is does not affect the functionality or the safety.

It's easy to close if you keep the screw out. There's 2 sliders on each side that keeps the folded part open/flat safely. My friend says it's easy to do. I thought it was tight, but maybe after doing it a few times it's easy. I'm a weakling though.

slr
09-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Thank You!