PDA

View Full Version : Custom Closets? (Easy closets, california closets, closet maid et al)

BeachBum
09-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I really, really want a nice closet system in my master closet. Does anyone have one they love, or hate? I'm thinking of the laminate type with drawers, shelves and hanging space. I'd love space for shoes but I'm not sure I have the room.

Any tips on figuring out what type of storage you need (how much hanging vs shelves).

lovin2shop
09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
We're getting some installed next week. I'm so excited to bring some order to my closet! I obviously can't give feedback yet on how well it works, but the planning process was pretty simple. We went with an independent installer that uses the Closet Maid professional cabinets. The biggest difference that I could tell from California Closets or some of the larger names is the number of colors/options. We went with white cabinets and chrome metal. They also had a maple and cherry option (which are more expensive, of course). CC has many other colors/wood options and a wider selection of knobs and metal finished. I'm going more for function than looks so Closet Maid suited our needs just fine. The CM professional series (can't remember the exact name) as opposed to the their diy stuff at Lowes has taller units, and deeper shelves and drawers.

We found the installer through Lowes, but we probably could have gone through him directly for less money if we had known. He came out measured, and then put together a design on his computer while sitting in kitchen. It probably took about an hour and half for the whole meeting. We will supposedly have room for my shoes (i hear you on this one!) six drawers, and an *extra* six feet of hanging space. The only difference from now is that most of the hanging bars are half length rather than full length to the floor.

The funniest thing that he said is that he hopes that I have another boy just for the sake of our closets! Let's just say that I have managed to take over every tiny bit of extra closet space in our house with my clothes and shoes!