PDA

View Full Version : Playroom storage - me & dh disagree

713abc
09-16-2007, 10:09 PM
So we need new storage for our playroom (two boys - lots of trucks, cars, etc). DH and I disagree on the type of storage we should buy.

I like the bookcase look, like this from Target:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-7/qid=1189998623/ref=sr_1_7/601-7513759-5436930?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=&asin=B000B8UVUK

DH likes the "bin" look:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-9/qid=1189998670/ref=sr_1_9/601-7513759-5436930?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=&asin=B000N8KD9C

Any advice on which would be better? Or any other suggestions?

TIA!
Robin

sdjeppa
09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I have both styles - the Ikea expedit 8 section bookshelf with bins in the play corner of the living room, and one similar to the one your DH likes, with a bookshelf on top in his bedroom. That one works best for small stuff - I can't fit all of DS toys, etc. in it, but it works great for separating trucks, hotwheels, etc. The expedit bins are much larger, so it can hold a whole lot of stuff, and bigger playsets, etc.

what about both?

rlu
09-16-2007, 11:34 PM
How big are the trucks? We have big trucks - school bus, several caterpillars, firetruck, 3 sizes garbage trucks - and we park them in several spots, including the tea trolley shelves. We put a bookcase in DS's room and call it the parking garage.

Just my .02.

BeachBum
09-17-2007, 06:41 AM
We have a bit of both. DS can't reach above the second shelf of the tall bookcase. That could be good and bad, but for me it's bad. Also with the cloth bins he forgets what is in there and those toys rarely get played with. On the plus side, that system is more attractive.

With the bins that your hubby likes they are great for smaller things or sets. DS can see them and each bin can be taken downstairs if he wants to play in the family room. They are great for trains, hotwheels, blocks etc. But for larger trucks each bin only holds one and it's a waste.

chunkychow
09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
From a preschool teacher, both will teach organization - no toy boxes please. Yours are too high - you need low "squatty" shelves.
I like the bins that you can take with you to clean up and the boys may be more likely to use. These would also probably show less wear and tear and you may be more likely to sell them later if desired. They also look more "child-friendly".

funda62
09-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Both are good but I think the bookcase is too formal for a play room. I have something similar to the expediat and I love it because it fits larger toys without bins but the bins really really help with smaller toys. Really the best of both worlds.

CiderLogan
09-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree you need both types of storage. The bookcases fill up fast, especially with the larger toys. How about one of each?

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)

bubbaray
09-19-2007, 12:13 AM
What about the Trofast unit from Ikea. You can put larger toys on top of it and its short enough that kids can still get stuff off the top.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49819508

I personally don't like the open bins, I don't want to see the stuff inside. Might be a guy thing, b/c that type of open bin shelf is exactly what my DH wanted.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

kijip
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
We have a variety of things but the bins unit (we have the exact one your DH wants) seems to suit my 4 year old picking up after himself the best. He likes to sort and it is easy for him to get 1 thing at a time rather than pulling off the contents of a whole shelf. Also handy for keeping like items grouped together.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)