PDA

View Full Version : New Sheets

HGraceMom
09-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Our new mattress is being delivered this week - HOORAY! - and the sheets I have aren't "deep" enough to fit over the new mattress.

I'd like the linens to be great quality, high(ish) thread count, single-ply. Egyptian cotton would be nice, but not an absolute. Color isn't important - plain white or white on white pattern is just fine. Also, I'd like sheets that wear well without significant shrinking (I don't dry on high, but occasionally things stay in the dryer a little longer than I'd like...) The softer the better, but preferably not "heavy" weight linens. No-iron would be nice, but not a deal-breaker. Price isn't terribly important for this purchase - my MIL is buying me the sheets for a birthday gift!

Any suggestions on brands to look at or stay away from?

Drag0nflygirl
09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
The Company Store "super-size" sheets are the only ones that will fit and stay on my 18 inch pillow-top mattress. They come in two different thread counts, and both have worn fabulously. I went through 3 other sets of "extra deep" sheets before I tried these. They all shifted and popped off the sides. Also anything "sateen" I've ever bought has pilled - so I'd avoid that too.
HTH
Nancy

DDowning
09-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Check out the Charisma brand sheets at Macy's. We have a Chattham & Wells Pillow-Top 21 inch cal king mattress. We've had the darndest of times trying to find sheets for them without resorting to the mattress store prices we bought the mattress from. Discovered the Charisma line and we love them!

gatorsmom
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd second the Company Store. Always Great quality.

Stay away from Bed Bath and Beyond. Had 2 sets of sheets from there that fell apart after the second wash. And they were expensive.

Oh, and I think it depends on the brand, but in the past I've had fantastic luck with sateen. Never had any pilling and they were very soft. Can't remember the brand names, though. We just recently got a new mattress too (went from a queen to a king size) so I got new sheets too. We got ours 40% off (with another 15% off coupon)from Kohl's and they were Laura Ashley brand. We like them so far, but haven't had them long enough to know how they'll hold up.

Enjoy!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

katydid1971
09-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Well if you want to get yourself a second set I love love love my sheets I bought at costco. They were less than $60 for queen size 300 thread count sheets. They are super soft and wash up so well. I have another set I bought at Macy's (I don't know the brand) that I don't like nearly as well. For more expensive sheets my MIL has pottery barn sheets on her guest bed and they are very nice too. Most of the new sheets will be deep enough for your bigger bed. I have no problem finding sheets to fit mine.
Enjoy your new bed!!!
Sarah

tiapam
09-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I love Lands End sheets. They have a great guarantee, so if you are unhappy with them returning is no hassle.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

nupe
09-17-2007, 12:31 AM
My favorite sheets are from Peacock Alley. Available at boutiques and through their website. I even picked up a set at Tuesday Morning 2 years ago. They are still awesome.

My second favorite is Company Store.

Third favorite is Garnet Hill.

A brand I recently purchased is Sferra. So incredibly soft, but so incredibly expensive! I don't know how these will hold up over time.

I've had back luck with BBB hotel ? brand sheets.

Dcclerk
09-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks so much for this timely post. I just purchased some BBB "hotel sheets" because I am so tired of our hideous ones, but I hadn't put them on the bed because I was wavering on the color. Then, I saw some Peacock Alley sheets at Tuesday Morning yesterday for the same price, and wondered if I shouldn't buy them instead. It seems that you quite clearly answered my question! Thanks mucho!! :)

nupe
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Looks like I need to go to Tuesday Morning!!! Thanks. I haven't been to TM in a long time.

ETA: When I first saw Peacock Alley sheets at Tuesday Morning I wondered if something was wrong with them. I emailed Peacock Alley and they said that most likely the color may be a bit different from the usual retail product. I liked the colors I bought!

katydid1971
09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
After reading the great reviews I just bought a set of Peacock Alley Oasis sheets at Tuesday Morning for $50. I brought them home and was about to wash them and noticed they weren't finished very well. I called the 800 number and the person helping me said that the "Oasis" collection is not their regular product marked down. Instead, she said, its made just for Tuesady Morning and just uses the Peacock Alley name. I saw other peacock alley products there that are probably not the same thing but I just wanted to give you a heads up about the "Oasis" line. I'm off to return these tomorrow.
Sarah