PDA

View Full Version : Are Little People so great?

veronica
09-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Every time I go out, I check them out but they seem so expensive. Do kids really like them? I know a lot of people on the board like them. DD is 22 months and still not into pretend play too much so I'd like to get her some pretend play things. I think some more baby dolls (she's not so into her corelle dolls at all) and I was thinking little people. But, just an airplane is over $15-to get a good amount of variety, seems like you'd have to spend a fortune. Is there a good place to buy this stuff?

Just curious!
Thanks

SheriRae
09-22-2007, 07:51 AM
My dd LOVES her little people!! We've probably had them since she was 1 years old. She's always played with them but as she gets older her playing changes. She gets the most out of them now that she's into "pretend play." (My son on the other hand NEVER played with his Little People. So it all depends on the child.)

I have gotten pieces on sale at TRU and Kohl's. Just keep your eye open and pick up peices when you see them on sale.

HTH!

bubbaray
09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
My girls LOVE them. DD#1 has had good play-use out of the airplane, as well as the farm (which is DD#2's fav). We also have the castle and the carnival, as well as all the extra sets for all of them. Target has good prices.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

babyready
09-22-2007, 03:20 PM
We have tons of them but I've gotten almost all of them from garage sales, consignment sales or even Craigslist. We love little people here but you're right, they are pricey.

If you're willing to hunt a little and do a little cleaning, these things can be found everywhere. They have been around a long time and are so popular, they are everywhere.

If you just want to invest in a couple of sets, I highly recommend vehicles. Those get more play than the house, zoo or anything else at our house. And they are the least expensive.

lisams
09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
DD is almost 5 and still plays with her little people - she loves setting up an entire village with them. How she played with them has kind of evolved. At first she just was kind of ho-hum but I would say around 2-3 her interest really peaked, especially when her imaginative played started to kick in.

I see a lot of the bigger sets at children's consignment stores (like Once Upon A Child). That would be a good place to start looking.

kayte
09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I also suggest finding them used. Try your local children's resale--like Kid to Kid or Once Upon a Child. After that try craigslist or even eBay.

I ordered just some farm animals (and a farmer) and the A to Z animals from the mattel parts department.

https://store.mattel.com/transition.aspx?TransitionID=103

Because I though my DD would like the animals but I didn't want a big old farm or zoo hanging around. We use the animals with her blocks or just on the floor.

HTH

Alys the Cat
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
You are my hero for posting this URL! I love the idea of picking and choosing figures and accessories. And the shipping costs are so reasonable.

Thanks!

clc053103
09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Just saw it in the ad this morning. That's how I bought most of mine!

AmyZ
09-23-2007, 01:43 PM
All hail LP!!! This is a toy that I'm so glad I did not pack up and put away. They look like they are for younger children, but around 3 years old, maybe a few months before, DD1 really started getting into LP. Now she is 3.7 and plays with them every day... setting up big scenarios, introducing new characters, mixing them with other toys. She can't get enough of them, and like PP said, the play evolves as the child gets older.

Heck, today was a slow day for us, so I broke out a new set that I had sitting in the closet (originally expecting to give it away).

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

traciann
09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
yes! we love them here! right now DD's most played with at the moment are the house, airplane, and birthday set. we also have the farm, playground, garage and dinosaurs as well as the seasonal sets such as thanksgiving and the navitity. dd is 28 months and her play with them is really starting to get involved. i keep them sorted into bins that are people, accessories, small vehicles and the dinosaurs...so its fun to see what she pulls out and mixes together.

and it seems like they keep coming out with more stuff such as the mayflower boat (redone pirate ship) and the camping set...which I am afraid dd needs! :) i wasn't all that jazzed about them in the beginning...but seeing how much she loves them its hard to resist.

DrSally
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
DS is close in age to your DD and plays with them, but not a whole lot yet. I expect it to pick up when he gets more into imaginative play. I got a huge lot--4 different sets plus a truck and for $30 off CL. She was asking $60 and I offered $30 b/c I really didn't need it at this point. I just washed everything and used a toothbrush for the crevices. It was worth it, b/c the only other think I'd like to get is the farm. When kids stop playing with LP, parents often times want to get rid of everything at once.

egoldber
09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Also, kids play with them for a long time. I made my 6 year old put all her tiny toys (Polly Pockets, My Little Pony) in her bedroom so that my 11 month old doesn't get into them and I pulled the LP out of storage. Well, now BOTH kids are playing with the LP together. Its really pretty adorable to watch them play together. :)

veronica
09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Thank you for all of the responses. Witht he TRU deal this week, I am thinking of picking some up. A friend has gotten us the plane, any other strong recommendations for what gets good use?

C99
09-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Ditto this. DD got a number of LP sets for her 1st and 2nd birthdays and DS1 played with them more than she did when we first got them. DS1 also loves playing with vintage LP sets -- my MIL has some, as does a good friend of my mother's.

C99
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
We love the school bus and the farm. DS1 also had the ramps around garage, the circus train set and another train set (but we sold those to make space for different toys).

traciann
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
i would say the house, bus or van would be great choices. my mom got this set at tru for her free set to keep at her house for the grandkids to play with.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299262&cp=&view=all&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&sr=1&origkw=little+people&kw=little+people&parentPage=search

my dd loved playing with it.