PDA

View Full Version : Which Le Crueset???? [ X-post in What's Cooking]

Mamma2004
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I am finally ready to take the plunge on ONE piece of Le Creuset and wonder which size and shape makes the most sense for my soups, stews, risotto, etc. How many quarts? Round or oval?

How big makes sense for a typical family? There are three of us but I am also trying to cook for either the freezer or for company so the amount is more like that for a family of 6.

TIA for any suggestions!

Stephanie

tylersmama
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I have the round 13 1/4 qt oven. I LOVE it. I don't use it all that often at the moment, but it's my first choice for making chili, stews, and tomato sauce. It easily fits a double batch of my chili, and a triple batch of my tomato sauce, which I then throw in the freezer. Plus, it goes in the dishwasher. I don't really think that there is much of a difference between the round and oval other than aesthetically. Although, depending what kind of stovetop you have, an oval may not fit your burners very well.

HTH!

kaitlinsmommy
09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I second the oven. I just saw one at Marshall's last week for $100 if you have one near you.

cindylouhoo
09-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I prefer the round French oven. I use the 5 1/2 qt. for soups and stew for our family of 2 adults and one toddler. It is large enough for one to two meals of soup/stew for us. It is super cookware! I'm so glad I invested in a couple of pieces. Their stoneware is great, too.

katydid1971
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
My costco has a 8 qt oval dutch oven which will do almost everything you need for an average size family (3 or4 maybe someday?) They have it in red or blue for $160 which is a good price for that size oven. Hope that helps.
Sarah

mum1day
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a round one that is 6 3/4 qt and LOVE it. It's the perfect size for what you need.

Mamma2004
09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. I know think I will invest in a large one for myself (via Santa!) and I'll try to get a medium-sized round one for Mom's birthday next week.

I'll surely check Marshall's but are there any other great B&M stores with competitive prices?

Thanks again!
Stephanie

Jen841
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
There are outlets, and they will ship. I bought my round dutch oven, large, no idea the "size" for $75.00 at one. I guess there was a slight imperfection but I can't figure it out. Nothing in the outlets looked wrong to me!

Mamma2004
09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Ooooh, outlets?! I've got some investigating to do!

Thank you!

Stephanie

Mamma2004
09-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Sarah, do you happen to recall what the Costco one was made of?

Thanks!

Stephanie

katydid1971
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Its a regular Le Crueset cast iron dutch oven with enamel coating. Its 7.5l/8qt size oval shapped. I bought it in the blue but they also had it in red. (I had a hard time choosing which color because I really liked them both.) I check online and can't find that exact size anywhere else so I think it was made especially for costco. It has the same warrenty info plus costco will always take back any of their products. BTW I did compare it to the outlet (we have one not far from my house) and it was a better price than the outlet for the 7.5qt size.
Sarah

Mamma2004
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Sarah, thank you SO much! I will head to Costco tomorrow and will check elsewhere only if necessary.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Stephanie

gisele
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I love my blue oval 6.5qt Le Creuset. The shape makes it easier to fit a whole chicken (chicken with 40 cloves of garlic anyone?). I also use it for pot roasts, making moules marinere, etc.

I purchased it at the Le Creuset outlet in Gilroy, CA for about $125. (Gilroy Premium Outlets)

galvjen
09-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Not B&M, but this site in Canada usually has competitive prices (even when you add in the s/h charges). Ordered an oval dutch oven from them ~4 years ago and it was a good transaction.

http://caplanduval2000.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=all.all&category=Le+Cuistot+Collection+Classique+Oval+Dutc h+Ovens

If you're patient, I've seen sales with lower prices and free shipping to the US.

Jen

Mamma2004
09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Sarah, I was so excited to learn about the possibility of finding the blue Le Creuset pot at Costco that I picked up DS from preschool and checked TWO area warehouses, skipping his library storytime in the process. (DS was thrilled, of course, since he ate his way through Costco...bad Mamma!)

How sad that here in Massachusetts and Connecticut they don't have them!

Where are you located? I'm afraid it must be one of those regional items that, like so many nice things, never makes it to the Northeast. I even checked costco.com but they don't list it.

I'd love to know where in the US they stock the pot in Costco stores. It's an amazing deal so I may have to work on Plan B.

Thanks to all!
Stephanie

katydid1971
09-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm in Eugene, OR. You can call my Costco and see if they can ship it or something. They may be able to give you a product number (sorry I would but I already recycled the box) and then you can call around to costcos in your area and see if you can find one that still has them. They had them when I was in there last time (about two weeks ago) I hope they will still be there. So sorry that your search went so badly. I bet they had them but people in your area recognized they were a great deal more than people in my area and they sold out quickly. Although it is true they do carry different stuff in different areas. MIL in California gets this wonderful clam chodwer at her's that I love but they carry a different brand here and I don't think its very good. Hope this works out for you.
Sarah