PDA

View Full Version : Arm's Reach vs. Play Yards...one or both?

klyama
09-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Hey there...

I'm trying to decide if I should get one of those pack and go play yards. I'm going to be using the Arm's Reach Mini Convertible for my bassinet. Supposedly, this can be folded up and has a carrying case for portability. I was thinking that I could use this to take to Grandma's house and when travelling. However, I've also been looking at the pack and go play yards, which seem to do it all. Some friends say they use theirs constantly while others say the play yard is sitting in the garage virtually unused.

Do you think the Arm's Reach will do the double duty or do I need both? It's so confusing...help!

kitmama
09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
I have an Arm's Reach mini, and that's what we use as a travel bed until the baby outgrows it. It really works great, though I will say that it took some time before it would fold easily. It is one of my favorite pieces of baby gear.

We also have a basic Pack N Play playpen, and we use it as a travel bed after the baby outgrows the bassinet- my boys were toddlers by the time we had to make the switch. The playpen is a bit bigger and heavier than the bassinet, and takes up more room. We usually only need it a few times, because by then the boys were able to sleep in a "real" bed. Still, sometimes it's nice to have a safe enclosed sleeping place.

Note that I am blessed with kids who seem to have no interest in climbing out of the playpen. It seems to me that once the kid climbs out of the playpen regularly, you might as well just put them in a regular bed. Less stuff to drag around.

nfowife
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I have both a pnp and the arms reach mini. I really have liked the arms reach mini. That said, I don't think it's really necessary if you get a pnp with the bassinet feature up top. The main reason I went with the arms reach mini to begin with was that in our old house there wasn't enough room for a pnp right next to my bed and the arms reach was what fit. The pnp definitely has more longevity than the mini. I used the arms reach as a bassinett for about 4 months with DS, he's now in his crib. I also use the pnp for travel for both kids and at home I have the pnp in my bathroom with toys so that DS can go in there when I take a shower.
They are both very similar in size when folded up, actually. The pnp might be about 5-6 inches longer than the arms reach but otherwise they are about the same size.

klyama
10-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks so much for your advice. Right now, I'm going to go with just the Arm's Reach. I really like the idea of having my baby right next to me but not actually in my bed. I have a friend that has the pnp and said I can borrow it anytime.

You guys are great. Thanks for your help!