PDA

View Full Version : High Chairs?

klyama
09-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Okay...I've got insomnia tonight and thought I'd get my baby registry done!

I'm confused about high chairs. First, should I register for one? It seems like it could quite some time before I need one so I'm wondering if I should buy it later. Also, they all seem so bulky and ugly. Can I just use the Bebe Pod? The Stokke Tripp Trapp is beautiful, but is it comfortable and functional? I've also heard that the Fisher Price Healthy Care is good. How about the Space Saver chair that attaches to your dining room chair? There are so many choices! Help!

tiapam
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I would not register for one. You don't use it for awhile, so you have to store it, and then if you don't like it, it is usually too late to return it. There are always high chairs for sale on Craigslist, you can get one so much cheaper that way, too.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

Kindra178
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
If you have the storage space, I would register for it. It's a good "big" gift that someone could give you. we didn't register for it and ended up buying it ourselves. We have Chicco Polly. It is comfy padded, but food gets in the little plastic grooves. Also, the tray is too big for our dishwaster. My inlaws have the baby trend, but that tray is too high for very tall child.

In retrospect, I wish I bought one of the wood ones. I saw the Svan at Land of Nod the other day, and I couldn't get over how small/sleek it was. I figure I will end up buying a fancy wooden one at some point. My friend just got the Kettler, but she got the one without the tray for her 2 year old.

anamika
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
ALso wanted to add that it's helpful to test drive the high chair with your LO. We had two high chairs in mind (can't remember which ones) but when we got to the store and tried both, we immediately ruled out one because there was huge gap between DD and the tray.
Also, we recently bought the Tripp Trapp and I really regret not having bought it in the first place. We had a FP Aquarium chair (or something similar) and the Tripp Trapp is way better and will last longer.
HTH and good luck,

Nooknookmom
09-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I waited & just bought one on sale at Albee baby.com

I didn't have storage space & didn't need it for the first 3-4 months. Now I love that I can recline DD in it and she'll sit for a while & play while I try to get things done in the kitchen.

She's eating some solids too & it's nice to have a contained spot for her. Using her Bumbo seat wasn't working for us.

I got a Peg Perego Prima Pappa for only $99.

babyready
09-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I would register for one, unless you really don't have the space. You will need it before you know it and they are pricey. I was really glad we had ours when the time came. And we used ours for a long time (2 1/2 years) so something like the Bebe Pod would definitely not have worked.

I don't have a lot of experience with high chairs, just ours really. I think the important features are: a tray that comes off (otherwise you have to stuff the legs in and out and that seems like it would be a real pain when they get a little bigger) and that easy to clean. Either a cover you can take off and wash or a vinyl one that doesn't have lots of cracks for things to stick into.

I know some people that always just used booster-like ones and that worked for them. If you don't have the space, that is definitely an option. I liked our big one, it kept the mess a bit more contained, IMO.

klyama
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. It was extremely helpful. I've decided to register for the Chicco Polly. I plan on getting the Stokke Tripp Trapp when we reach the toddler stage so he can join us easily at the dinner table.

You guys are great! Thanks for the help.