PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn kids table & chairs

jyllebean
09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone have the kids sized table/chairs from PBK? Are you pleased with the quality? Grandma wants to buy them for dd for Christmas and I'm so excited about it, although I can't believe how much more expensive it is compared to ikea's kids tables and chairs. Is it really worth it? Just wondering if you are happy with the quality.

Thanks!

JILL

tiapam
09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
We have the small honey colored Carolina table. It is holding up very well. I did not get a painted finish because I did not want it to chip. I did get painted chairs from Lands End because they were cheaper than PBK and I liked the styling better. They do not currently sell any, though. They have got some chips, but I pretty much expected that.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

mom2emma
09-26-2007, 11:21 PM
We also have the small honey colored Carolina table and we are pretty happy with it. We also bought two chairs. One of the chairs started chipping but PBK customer service is good and they sent us a new chair (they covered all shipping costs). I believe they will replace a product if there is a problem up to a year after the purchase date.

Bess

ellies mom
09-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I haven't bought the table yet but after all my research I decided on the small Carolina PBK table. The reason I chose the PBK table over the Ikea table specifically is the size. Right now we have the large Nilo train table but it takes up too much space. So I wanted something quite a bit smaller but still big enough for DD to spread out a bit. The PBK table we want is 33"x24" versus 31"x21" and 23"x19" for the two Ikea tables. The height is 22" for the PBK table and 19" for the Ikea tables. So the larger Ikea table is close but I wanted to maximize the size as much as I can in that size range. I did compare prices to good unfinished furniture. The size was comparable (same height but maybe 32"x25") and the sale price was only $20 less. And it would still have to be painted or stained. For that difference, I'd buy the PBK one. As for chairs, I can't speak for the Ikea ones. I didn't like the look as much but I did compare PBK prices with unfinished chairs and there was about a $25-35 each price difference. For two chairs, it might be worth it to go unfinished.

So, I guess my long winded point is that in this particular case, the PBK table really does seem to be a good value. The chairs maybe a bit over-priced but I have to say that I really like those green Carolina chairs so I may just suck it up and spend the money.

kijip
09-27-2007, 02:11 AM
We have the large honey colored Carolina table.

We got it as a display model close out. I love that it is large enough for his computer on one side and coloring/whatever space on the other side. It is also large enough for a lot of kids to sit at for snack or whatever during get togethers. It has held up well. I am a cheapskate and we have an assortment of Ikea and other chairs to go with it.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

mommyapb
09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
We have the small farmhouse table & 2 chairs. I love the look of it but I am very disappointed in the quality. My daughter can dent the table top while stacking blocks on the table. As a result, I have had to get another table for crafts b/c the PBK table top is full of dents (distressed look). We got it as a sample sale after Christmas.

If I were getting a table & chairs for our new playroom I would not go the PBK route (quality just isn't there for the price) but if it is in a family room then I would because style wise (farmhouse not carolina) it matches my furniture.

These are just my opinions though. Maybe others have had better experiences.

As a side note, grandma & grandpa bought this for dd so I don't stress too much about it. Plus they love to come over & see her sitting at the tale reading books :)

HTH!