PDA

View Full Version : Marble Runs

hbridge
09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi,

We are looking to get 4 year old DC a marble run for Christmas. The Quadrilla sets looks nice, but they are a little expensive. Also, I know that Haba makes one as well.

Can anyone recommend a nice wooden set that will last a while.

Thanks so much

LBW
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
You mentioned the two wooden sets that I know of. We have the Quadrilla set, and though it is pricey, I think it's a toy that children can play with for many, many years. Heck, my husband and I love playing with it.

hbridge
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Tara,

Thanks for responding. Do you mind my asking which Quadrilla set you have?

There is a Quadrilla "tower" set up in a local toy store that DC and DH LOVE to play with so that is what I'm leaning towards. I think the one in the store is actually multiple sets put together and I'm not sure where to start.

brittone2
09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
nak-we have a similar set to this, found 2nd hand

http://www.shopatron.com/index/174.0.1371.0.0.0.0

the marbles are smaller (in our set, which may or may not be the same as the one pictured here) than the Haba stuff. We have added on some Haba items to ours, and it works fine for us to use the sets together, as long as we use the smaller marbles.

Also, if you go w/ sets, a lot of the pieces (at least w/
Haba) are like plain unit blocks to use to support pieces of track. For us, having a cheaper basic set (which we use w/ unit blocks and dominos) works well, and then we add the cool Haba pieces to that.

new_mommy25
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
We are thinking of getting DS a marble run as well this Christmas. I am leaning toward the Haba set. It seems more versatile and I love that you can add on more pieces. You can also use regular blocks. The Quadrilla set looks really nice but it also looks like a lot of work for me to set up and take down.

jec2
09-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Angie, keep me updated on what you decide. I might just :baa: you on this too, lol!

Finn has played with and loved the quadrilla at the store, but I like the seemingly wider variation of set-ups that the Haba stuff offers.

LBW
10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
We have the Twist and Rail set. I think it's a good mix of interesting features. We're thinking about getting another accessories set for Christmas.

JBaxter
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
We have the platic imaginarium one and DH oops I mean Nathan loves it. Its the dad/son thing LOL I tossed the plastic marbles and went to "everythings a dollar" store and got a bag of 50 glass marbles for $1. DH wants another set because he can build it bigger LOL

luckymom
10-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi -

Have you seen the Block n Roll sets? I saw this in our local to shop, and thought it looked neat. If you're not opposed to plastic - and its made in the USA, its a marble run set thats like the Haba set made out of Legos. Its compatible with Duplo and Mega Blocks, and has lots of fun action pieces like loops and switches. It looked like it would be fun for the kids to build themselves.

http://taurustoy.netfirms.com/shop/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=28bf0e596e68237fa698b0e92ddf0f75

My 3yo son got a plastic Quarcetti set for his bday from a friend. He loves it, but we have to set it up. Something about dropping marbles down a chute seems to really appeal to them at this age.

Just a thought
Lucy