PDA

View Full Version : anyone use EXPEDIT as a sitting bench?

skohng
10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I have no sense of spatial dimension, but I'm trying to figure out whether the 4 x 2 expedit shelving (4 cubes across, 2 down) would work, horizontally, as an adult sitting bench. If so, does anyone have any ideas on what type of cushion to put on top? I'm looking for something to organize shoes/toys etc but also put in our entryway.

Thanks!

greatcanuk
10-02-2007, 03:26 AM
My impression is that the 4 x 2 would be too high to sit on comfortably--I think I may have seen images of LACK (4 x 1) being used in that manner. What you could do to get a sense of the spatial dimension is to use something in your home to approximate a similar dimension in that spot, like stacking bins or cardboard boxes together. You could also create a paper template of the height and width at least by measuring out and taping brown kraft paper to the wall and floor.

Camille

kijip
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
No way. Sorry! I have the 2 by 4 in my living room, on its long side, and you would need to be 10 feet tall to tie your shoes while on it unless your held your leg out in front of you in the air. Not comfortable. And it is taller than many toddlers. Sitting on it would be about like sitting on a slightly low bar stool in terms of height.

We have LEVISK (?) bench from IKEA in our entry hallway for shoe storage and you can easily sit on it while tying shoes- we do all the time.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

skohng
10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
thought so. thanks for the lack and lavisk ideas, i'll go check them out!

Piglet
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I *just* got back from IKEA - we were looking for a bench for our back door. I found a few there that would work. Leksvik and Lack are both good. There are also a couple benches in the dining area that would work. One has a ledge underneath for storage and the other has a lift up section on the seat. I liked the Lack one best, but didn't buy it since I wasn't positive it would hold up under daily use. I am glad to hear it might work.