PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Is "off white" furniture a mistake?

DAKnits
10-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I really need to figure this out! I just bought the PBK rustic thomas bed in sun valley white, and had it delivered. It's beautiful -- BUT it's really really OFF white. I already have the Bellini Jessica ***white***furniture left over from DD's nursery -- a wide dresser, a changing armoire, and a book tower. When/if I have another kid, the changing armoire would be moved out of the room, but the dresser and book tower wouldn't have to move -- I'd just use the changing armoire and the crib for the new baby's room. I would still need to purchase a bedside table for DD's room b/c she doesn't have one.

The PBK bed doesn't match the dresser/book tower AT ALL. I'd have to buy a new matching dresser and bedside table and move out the existing furniture because it totally clashes. It's really expensive to buy the matching pieces -- another $1000 without shipping. If I just bought the bedside table, it would be $300 plus shipping.

Should I return the PBK bed (I wouldn't lose any money, even cost of shipping!) and get a white bed (I'm thinking about a Bellini or a Stanley bed)? Is off-white a hard color to deal with throughout the years in terms of finding matching bedding, rugs, and accessories? The room is painted pink with white baseboards, a white closet, and a white bathroom is attached -- would the off-white clash?

THANKS for helping a confused and designer challenged mom!!!

LBMommy
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi!
We have the same issue with DD's "white" PBK toddler bed and her true white furniture from Land of Nod. Not much of an issue down the road b/c she'll be out of the toddler bed soon anyway. ANYWAY, my suggestion is, if you realy like the pieces you have, see how much it would be for a furniture restorer to refinish the some of the pieces in the right color. When we moved, the movers scratched up the toddler bed pretty bad... they wouldn't pay for a new one but they did pay for a furniture guy to patch up the scratches. He did a great job and I can't even tell where the patches are if I look hard.

Just another idea.
Jen

tiapam
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I would probably return it. There are lots of white beds out there, I am sure you can find one you like just as much.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

new_mommy25
10-03-2007, 03:21 AM
I agree.