PDA

View Full Version : Sweet streets and a traditional doll house- is that too much?

Karenn
10-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I bought these Sweet streets pieces for dd several years ago on super clearance when amazon and TRU were splitting.

[http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Streets-Village-Gift-Set/dp/B0009PY6J2]
[http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Streets-City-Dinner-Show/dp/B0009PY6JC]

I tucked them away and forgot I had them until a few weeks ago and pulled them out for DD's 3rd birthday.

When the Sweet Streets were hidden away and forgotten about, I also bought the Ryan's Room Home Sweet Home doll house at Tuesday Morning.

[http://www.shop.com/Ryans_Room_Home_Sweet_Home_Dollhouse_5516360-44915689-59122679-p!.shtml?sourceid=298]

I'm wondering if I should try to sell the Ryan's room doll house. She seems thrilled with the Sweet streets and they already come with all sorts of accessories. I'd still have to furnish the Ryan's Room house. Should I keep the Ryan's room house? Is it a different kind of play, or better kind of play?

Also if I do keep the Ryans Room house (cover your ears if you're a devoted wooden toy lover ;) ) I'm thinking of furnishing it with FP Loving Family furniture because I like it better. (Shocking, I know. ;) ) Would the Loving Family furniture fit in that Ryan's room house?

wendmatt
10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Karen
I can't believe Claire is 3 already. Hope your 2 are good sleepers now, Emily is still a stinker! She at least is old enoug now to get up and go to the bathroom and sneak into our bed without totally waking us up! She turns 5 next month, I can't believe it.

OK,sorry, back to your q! DD has some sweet streets and likes them and plays with them sometimes. She also has a wooden treehouse which she plays with sometimes. I do think they are quite different and she seems to play with them differently. I don't know if you should keep the Ryans room. You could put it away for a while at least until next year, lots of people have said that girls don't play with the 'real' dolls house until 4 or 5. I have no idea if the FP furniture would fit in the RR house. Keep an eye out in Marshalls/TJ Max etc as I have seem RR stuff there for good prices, that's if you plan to keep it of course. Sorry if I was no help! Happy belated birthday to Claire, hope you had a lovely day.

Karenn
10-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Thank you Wendy! :) Your answers *are* helpful. I didn't know about Ryan's Room and Marshalls/TJ Maxx. I've only ever looked/found it at Tuesday Morning.

Both kids sleep well enough these days, but I still feel like *I* never get enough sleep! I can't believe Emily's almost 5 either! It seems like just yesterday we had little sleepless babies!

new_mommy25
10-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Well we have a big wooden doll house and I just bought my DD the Fisher Price My First Doll house so I guess we are kind of in the same boat. :) I figured the FP doll house was more age appropriate for her and I was right. She really prefers it. I think I would keep both. I've seen the Sweet Streets in stores before and they really do seem quite different. Maybe keep them in different areas? The other cool thing about the Street Sweets is that they seem really portable. They'd be nice to take along to Grandma's house or even to a play date.

Also, kind of similar, but my DS has a huge Thomas/wooden train collection and a growing Geo Trax collection. He plays with both constantly. They're both trains but very different. I don't see any problem with collecting both.

egoldber
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I wish I had bought more of the Sweet Street dollhouses when they were available. I didn't realize they were being discontinued until it was too late. Sarah adores the one we have now and they are such a nice size and so portable!

And Loving Family furniture does indeed fit in a wooden dollhouse. :)

new_mommy25
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
My local Toysrus has a ton of Sweet Streets. I was just there last week.

american_mama
10-05-2007, 09:48 PM
My kids, particularly my older daughter, have always preferred the Sweet Streets stuff and the larger Loving Family dollhouse that I've seen at many preschools. Unless you are really into wooden toys, I'd return the Ryan's room set because IMO they are so expensive to furnish. My daughter is a creative girl, but seems to prefer the more realistic looking toys, somewhat to my chagrin. For instance, I have some classic Little People (no clothes, no arms, etc.) and some new ones (formed with hats, clothing, props in hands, etc.) and she likes the more realistic ones better.

Just a thought: I bought my big wooden dollhouse, 6 or 7 dolls, and a houseful of furnishings off of ebay for about $60 total. It was a used set, sold by a woman whose children had outgrown it. I picked it up while visiting my MIL to avoid shipping charges. If you really want to get a wooden dollhouse now or in the future, you could look into that option.