PDA

View Full Version : More doll house talk - Best DOLLS

new_mommy25
10-03-2007, 04:10 AM
I mentioned in a previous post that I scored a great wooden doll house off Craigslist. It came fully furnished along with a family of four so a great bargain. The only thing I don't like is the dolls. The poor things are really homely. The outfits are a mess, they look homeless, and the yarn hair has the tendency to stick out instead of laying flat.

I'm planning to get some Calico Critters but I'd also like to buy another family. Who makes the best dolls? I'm not interested in Ryan's Room only because we have the fire house and I am totally unimpressed by the fire men. The wire bodies are a much thinner wire than our homely dolls therefore making them harder to pose. Are the Plan dolls better? Is there another brand I should look at? I've been drooling over the gorgeous Kathe Kruse dolls at Magic Cabin and Oompa. They look so lovely. But at almost $20 for a single doll that is waaay out of my budget.

I want dolls that don't look homeless, have nice thick wire that makes them easy to pose, and don't cost a fortune. Any thoughts?

brittone2
10-03-2007, 07:28 AM
We have the Ryan's Room ones and they're okay. The clothes sometimes fall down (the skirts, pants, etc.) and they aren't the most attractive.

There's the Plan ones, although I don't remember them being that different than the Ryan's Room ones (but I haven't seen them in a while so I'm not sure?)

If $$ were no object, I'd go with Kathe Kruse. Those are soooo nice. The other thing I considered was getting some wooden "dolls" ala Holztiger or Ostheimer since they are easy to stand up. DS doesn't play enough with his for me to justify spending any significant money. If DD plays with hers more than he does, then I might go for something like the KK.

I wish I had better advice!

greatcanuk
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Here's an old thread on this topic:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=47235&mode=full

HTH!
Camille

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize that most of the links were dead.

brittone2
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
there's a post in the Bargains forum w/ a link to the new "look" of the dolls. Not sure if you'd be interested, but if you are searching, you might want to look just to compare.