PDA

View Full Version : Rec'd Toys for 2 yo Girl -Help!

pinkmomagain
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I've been trying to search for threads on gifts/toys for 2 yo girls/kids, but I'm not having too much luck. Between her birthday and the upcoming holiday season, I'm trying to find gifts.

Any suggestions or links to threads?

TIA,

Gina

MeAndMyStar
10-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Here is a thread from last year that a board member put together. It is full of ideas from 2006 and had links to previous toy threads :) This was a good one, thanks Jennifer!

http://tinyurl.com/3d5zpy

schums
10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
When DD was 2, here are some of the things she enjoyed:
FP Little People
Playdoh
Peg puzzles
Candyland (just started at 2 -- didn't really play "by the rules" until 2 1/2-3)
Books, especially lift the flap
Fridge Phonics by leap frog
Refrigerator farm by leap frog (not the real name, but I can't think of it right now)
Musical instruments
Play kitchen
Sand and water table

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

brittone2
10-04-2007, 07:53 PM
DS's biggest interests at that age were (and these still get a lot of play at 3.5) the playkitchen/food, and his train table/trains.

I'm sure that the linked thread has many of these listed, but maybe a dress up trunk or collection? Hats, shoes, a feather boa, tutu, pettiskirt, fairy wings, firefighter costume, purses, chef hat, sunglasses, animal costumes, costume jewelry, etc. I know some people have picked up discounted Halloween costumes after the holiday to save for dress up trunk use.

DS hasn't been into dress up much, but I'm hoping DD gets into that stuff so I can buy it for her ;) It would be fun to accumulate some sparkly second hand purses, etc.

I've seen boas, basic tutus, etc. at Michaels recently, and you could use the 40% off coupons to make them very reasonably priced. You can also make an easy DIY no-sew tutu. I made one for my niece's 2nd bday to give with a ballerina book.

Art supplies and easel would be another thing that gets a lot of play around here. You can even add accessories in her stocking like paintbrushes, dot-a-dot markers (like bingo stampers), crayons, paint, etc. There are people on etsy that make really cute crayon rollups too. DS has one and it is super cute (and under $10). Great for storing crayons and it would be a cute stocking stuffer. Big pads of paper (again, we use the 40% off Michaels or AC Moore coupons to buy the strathmore watercolor paper or sketchpads).

A basic set of unit blocks?

Musical instruments? CDs? (they don't get outgrown easily). DS likes/liked Raffi, Dan Zanes, Justin Roberts, Lauri Berkner, They Might be Giants, etc.

Holztiger or Ostheimer types of animals if you think she will play with figures at her age. DS is 3.5 and still doesn't do a ton of that kind of play. I think it just varies w/ the kid.

Lacing snake? (big lacing beads)

Learning tower or Kinderzeat?

Baby doll and crib, bed, high chair or pram?

A tote bag of books?
www.bookcloseouts.com helped build our collection.

For inspiration, sites like www.atoygarden.com
www.oompa.com
www.novanatural.com
www.maukilo.com
www.moolka.com
www.kidsurplus.com
www.forsmallhands.com

if she's getting closer to 3, a balance bike? DS got the Puky from www.gliderrider.com and it rocks :) Some balance bikes come in a smaller size and I know some people have bought them for 2 year olds.

Trike with or without pushbar? DS got his for his 2nd bday and loved it. He didn't start pedaling until 3-3.5 though (average is somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 to pedal independently).

I can always come up w/ ideas once I see sites like those ;)

Playhouse? Swing?

pinkmomagain
10-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much, all, for taking the time to reply. I've gotten some great ideas!

Gina