PDA

View Full Version : bday goody bags--how much do you spend per kid?

nicknack
10-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't really know where to post this, but thought here was okay!

We're having B's bday party at an indoor playspace and they have the option of them doing the bags for $1.50 per kid. I'm guessing that's a decent deal and they're probably filled with the same stupid stuff I would have done! Plus, I won't have to run around and do all the legwork.

However, if for some reason it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself, I might.

So, just wondering how much these usually cost? Oh, he's turning 4 so the bag would be filled with mainly stuff for that age group.

TIA!
Nicole

babyready
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, that seems like a good deal to me!

DD's party is in a couple weeks and I have spent about $5 per bag already and I think I need to add something. But I am only doing 3, so I got to splurge a bit.

But even the cheap packs of favors are a couple of bucks each, plus bags for a couple more bucks. It adds up quickly. And this way, you don't have to worry about it!

SnuggleBuggles
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
My budget would depend on how many kids.

I usually spend closer to $3-4 on each kid but I only invite a few kids.

I am not really fond of the generic junkie goodie bags so I try to avoid them.

A good generic idea was one another child did last year- they bought coloring books (probably at the dollar store) and taped a helium balloon to each of them.

Beth

hellokitty
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not a fan of the bag full of junky toys. I think instead of you get a bunch of larger items (like a $1-2 item, arts/craft item, baseball cap, little tote bag for books, a ball, coloring book, etc.) and let each child, "grab" one item out of that bag on the way out of the party it would be more practical and it wouldn't be stuff that would just break after they played with it once. I think the parents will also appreciate you not sending their kids home with a bunch of tiny bags of cheapy plastic things that clutter up the house and stuff they would have to worry about younger siblings putting into their mouths.

nicknack
10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I don't love the junky stuff either, but that's all we ever get so I don't mind all that much!

Plus, I think it's going to be more like 12-14 kids, so the $1.50 deal seems pretty good.

Ooh, that's a cute idea about the coloring books, maybe I could do that! We're having a pirate party, maybe I could find some pirate coloring books.

nicknack
10-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I know, I was thinking about the small pieces having a younger child myself. Plus, you know all of that stuff is probably made in China with god knows what paint and materials!

That's a good idea, although I'm not sure how well the grabbing thing would go down (one kid wanted the thing the other kid took, etc...). But maybe I will buy two $1-2 items per kid and call it a day.

MMMommy
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I am not a fan of the goody bags put together by the playspace places. They always seem to be filled with bad quality toys, in addition to promotional items with the company's logo on it (i.e. "Pump It Up sports bottle"). I will probably do coloring books and crayons for our next party--3 cent boxes of Roseart Crayons I got on clearance from Target and a coloring book.

nicknack
10-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it, I could probably make a trip to Walmart and/or Michaels and have it all wrapped up. I can't stand when B gets those bags full of you-know-what, I shouldn't inflict that on his friends!

Wow, 3 cents?!?!

fauve01
10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
wow, that seems like a GREAT deal to me! you couldn't even get two cheapo things from the dollar store for that.

DD and I were at target just this afternoon getting stuff for her 4th birthday party this sunday. we got a kid toothbrush (princesses for girls and cars for boys) and box of bandaids for each kid. it came to just over $4 per kid.

i considered a nice kid placemat of maps or flowers or alphabet ($4 crocodile creek from whole foods) instead of the bandaids/toothbrush.

at a party last spring, DD got a big bottle of bubbles and a $2 gift cert to baskin robbins.

i hate when DD gets a bunch of junk that breaks as soon as we get home. i wanted to get the kids something they would actually use and that i wouldn't mind if DD brought home from a party. and stuff that all the kids' parents would like since i have to see them on a regular basis. lol

good luck!

anne + DD 10-03

MMMommy
10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
3 cents! The 24 count Roseart Crayons were on clearance for 3 cents a box at Target last week. They sold out in a flash though b/c of the ridiculous price. Can't beat a 3 cent box of crayons!