PDA

View Full Version : Permanently creating train track layout

iujen94
10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
For various reasons I am exploring the possibility of some type of "permanent" train track layout for our train table. Our Barnes & Noble and our locally-owned toy store both have cool, elaborate layouts on their train tracks that are somehow permanently affixed - both the train track pieces to each other, and the entire setup to the train table. Anyone have any experience setting up something like this (would regular wood glue work?)? My preference would be for the pieces to be permanently affixed to each other, but not necessarily to the train table. OR, even better, if someone has a suggestion for semi-permanently attaching the train track pieces to one another (I have NO idea if this is remotely possible!) that would be fantastic. Thanks for any suggestions!

deannanb
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
could you do a permanent set (cheap)
and then have the train table board for free tracks?

we have a set of brio tracks that had been ds1's when he was 3ish

ds2 wanted to play with them, but needed the "permanent" track

I bought a piece of plywood from the hardware store - had them cut it to the size I wanted and then glued a $20 track from target on it.

I used some glue that was recommended by a man at Michaels - don't remember the name off hand -

we put the track together and then took one piece out at a time to glue it down and then glue it to the next piece.

It was a wonderful way to play with the train set. we had it on the floor since we didn't have a train table.

now that ds2 is almost 3 - the train set has been well loved (pieces coming off because of abuse!) - so we have pulled out the brio set and got a train table for those.

hth

brittone2
10-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I read somewhere about the idea of using rubber cement. It holds it pretty steady, but you can get it off eventually if you want/need to. It did sort of mess up the top of our Costco train table, but I knew that was a possibility in advance. Nothing major or problematic for us, but something to consider.

I used the rubber cement as DS was not yet 2 when he got his train table (a few months shy) and it was easier to do that so the pieces didn't come apart constantly. I didn't do any elevated stuff until he got older.

I'd buy cheaper track if you can to do that with. I know at 3, and 3.5, DS enjoys building new layouts with DH and me, so it is nice to have the flexibility to do so. I wouldn't have wanted to permanently affix the stuff to the table top and limit the layout possibilities.

There is also stuff like suretrack, which (I think?) clips the pieces of track together. I don't think it will affix it to the surface, but it will hold the track sections together. I've seen it recommended here before. I think www.creativetrains.com carries it.