PDA

View Full Version : Klean Kanteen Made in China? Should I have any concerns?

blessedmtk11
10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I was so excited to receive my order this week but now my excitement has turned to paranoia. I just realized that these are made in China (the Avent sippy attachments are made in England). My dd has been using her KK bottles for the past 2 days and loves them. But she's also been incredibly fussy with no appetite the past 2 days. It may just be a coincidence but I couldn't help but wonder if there was any lead in the cups? Can stainless steel consist of lead? If anyone can please educate me about this or let me know if there's anything to be concerned about, I would greatly appreciate it!! TIA!

AugBaby
10-05-2007, 07:08 AM
We have the same concern. I was all set to place an order with them until I found that it was made in China.

I don't necessarily think that your dd's reaction is potentially lead. Our concern was that China is using a lot of unhealthy practices. So, it could be that there's lead, it could be that there's some other chemical. Who knows? Our family policy is to stay away from things made in China. I think everyone has to come to terms with their own philosophy for their own family.

Then you have to look at your alternatives and question the safety of those :-)

Good luck!

taraalissa
10-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Ih was also concerned about this. I am going to put a call into Sigg today to see where their items are manufactured. I know they are "swiss engineered" but I can't find any info on their site as to where they're made.

If anybody knows, I would appreciate not having to make the call...

citymama
10-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure KK's don't have any lead issues. I would definitely recommend calling the co. to check, but given the whole brouhaha over BSP A and the enormous boost in good press for KK and Sigg suggests to me that this would have been investigated.

I would definitely like to hear what you learn from the co.

I'm equally leery of using aluminum cups like Sigg - regardless of the assurances of th manufacturer that the lining is safe. Didn't we hear that about Teflon as well?

While I know the China toxins issue has been a sobering reminder to us, let's not forget that this is about (mostly) US companies and their quality control issues - regardless of where products are made. I have several made-in-China products I couldn't live without, and feel safe with, like my Ergo Baby carrier for instance.

Ultimately, we need to be doing our own research on things like toxic exposure risks since clearly the CPSC and companies clearly aren't doing that for us!

hellokitty
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
THANK YOU for posting that. I think ppl are forgetting that it is the AMERICAN companies that have turned a blind or dropped the ball on quality control and testing of their products.