PDA

View Full Version : Torn between 2 Ryan's Room Dollhouses.... Help!

MMMommy
10-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm torn between the Ryan's Room Home Sweet Home dollhouse and the Home Is Where the Heart Is dollhouse. I picked up the Home Sweet Home dollhouse at Tuesday Morning for $50, which is a super bargain. It retails normally between $100 to $120. The Home Is Where The Heart Is can be bought online for about $100 shipped--no sale or bargain with that one. DD1 (4 in January) loves pink. DD2 will 3 in March, so I think they will play with the house for years to come.

Home Sweet Home pic (not shown, but roof opens to reveal a third floor in the house) - http://tinyurl.com/ytf8cw

Home Is Where The Heart Is pic - http://tinyurl.com/28bb2v

I think both are very nice. I love the look, the bargain of the Home Sweet Home, and that it comes with some furniture. I like the natural wood of the Home Is Where The Heart Is, along with its size.

Which one do you like and why? Thanks!

annasmom
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Hands down - Home Sweet Home. The reason, one word - PINK!!

We have the RR Home Again, Home Again dollhouse and my dd ALWAYS asks my to paint it pink.

jillmk
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
We have the Home is Where the Heart is and I love it. It "goes" in any room of the house and isn't an eyesore--not that the pink one is. But the reason I love it is that so many people can play with it at once. If we pull it out away from the wall, my 3 daughters and I can all easily play with it--from all 4 sides. That isn't possible with a lot of doll houses. Maybe that isn't an issue to you, but it has been a big help for us. And thinking ahead to when the girls have friends over to play I think that they'll appreciate it. We added the garage, side "deck" and front facade like this: http://tinyurl.com/yuxrfo and it looks great. Honestly though, I bet your kids would love either one!

JBaxter
10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
The Home Sweet Home at tuesday morning COMES with furnature so all you have to buy is a family. We got it for my niece for Christmas ( my mom did anyway) We also found the "boys room" at Tuesday morning for 6.99. I think she got the family of 3 and a nursery set to go along with it but if you buy the Home is where th heart is you have to b uy the kitchen living room dining room bedroom and bathroom AND the family.

MMMommy
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
The thought of having to pay for so many furniture sets with the Home Is Where the Heart Is dollhouse kills me. I think that's where all the money goes--towards the endless sets of furniture that end up costing more than the house itself. I really like both, and it is such a dilemma. The bargain huntress in me is voting for the Home Sweet Home, but I keep thinking of the natural wood one and its size for longevity. Dilemma!

jillmk
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Karen,
If you do deide o get the Home is Where the Heart is, don't buy too many rooms at first! My DD got a bunch from various families as xmas gifts, and honestly she would have been just as happy with a few rooms. Start slow, although it is tempting....

MMMommy
10-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Jill, very good to know. I made that mistake last year when I went "toy kitchen crazy." Last Xmas the "big gift" was the wooden kitchen, and of course I couldn't help myself and bought way too many play kitchen stuff. Suffice it to say, most of the stuff just ended up scattered on the ground and made a big mess. If I could turn back time, I would have only bought just the basic--some pots and pans, a few play food items. I went overboard and regret that, so I need to curb myself here. Thanks!

new_mommy25
10-06-2007, 12:04 AM
The pink house all the way!! It is adorable.

MMMommy
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Jill--
I think I can benefit from your experience here. If I do end up going with the Home Is Where the Heart Is house, what rooms do you recommend starting with? As you noted before, starting with less is best. What combination of RR sets do you think would be the best to start off with? RR kitchen and dining set? RR living room set and a RR bedroom set of some kind? It's so hard b/c it seems like so many rooms are "essential." I would rule out the RR gym set, home office set, boys room, playground, etc. But I don't know how to pick amongst the living room, dining room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Any advice is appeciated. Thanks!

giavila
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I was going crazy as well trying to decide between the Ryan's Room pink house and a more open natural wood one. It's hard to walk away from a good deal without feeling guilty! I was really close to buying the pink one today because I do really think it's cute... but eventually decided against it because I really want to make sure both dd's (and maybe a friend) are able to play together comfortably and I don't want to have to buy a more open one later. So my advice would be... get the one you really want : ) I've heard people say.. "I got this one, but I should have gotten this other one". If you think the pink one is spacious enough for both of your dd's then I say go for it because it is adorable. But if it's not the layout or style you were originally looking for, then pass on it.