PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Leappad and Leapster - Is it worth buying?

sue_g
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I am not a big advocate of video games (or electronic toys)and was wondering if the Leappad or Leapster was worth buying for 3.5 ds. Is it really educational and is it worth buying? I like cars, trucks, blocks, wooden toys, etc. Please let me know your reviews and opinions. Thank you.

bubbaray
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I recently got DD#1 a Leapster, but may return it. It is very video-gamish. I also got her the Read & Write LeapPad, and the 3 phonics boxes. I'm actually going to give it to her this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). I think she'll quite like it.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

new_mommy25
10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
My DS has the Leap Pad which I bought for $5 at a garage sale. He loves it. He plays with it everyday, mostly in the car. I think it would be great for a trip. The only thing is that sometimes I wish we had the My First Leap Pad instead of the one we have now. The reason is because most of the Leap Pad books are for older children. They only have a few Pre-K books. The My First Leap Pad has way more Pre-K books that my DS would enjoy. Of course the bonus of us having the Leap Pad is that it will last longer than the My First so DS will be able to use it for many more years. I think the age range is 4-8 for the Leap Pad and 3-6 for the My First.

We did buy DS the Leapster but haven't given it to him yet. I really don't have a problem with video games though. DS is already very proficient on the computer and plays games on that almost every day. We also let him play Nintendo Wii. :)

ajmom
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm not really in to video games, but we bought the Leapster for DS who turned 5 on his birthday and he loves it. It's more educaitonal (IMO) than your average video game, and DS has really enjoyed it.

Neither one of my DSs have gotten into the LeapPad, much to my chagrin, but I keep trying!

bubbaray
10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should keep the Leapster too???

We have the Baby one (LittleTouch?). Its OK. DD#1 never really got into it. But, I have her the R&W one tonight and she seems to quite like it. We just did 10 minutes of phonics, which is good for her, usually she gets bored with phonics after a minute or 2!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

kijip
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
My 4 year old has had a LeapPad for about a year- I think it was a 3 year bday present. He plays with it a couple times a week. It has not distracted him from his other toys and books but is a nice variation for him to have to pick. He has three books for it.

I can't speak to the Leapster thing. We have an iMac that he uses for pbs.com a couple times a week and we own a Wii that he will play sometime for a little bit with me or my husband. The addition of a few video games has not decreased his interest in books, art, trains, toy kitchen or blocks in the least.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)