PDA

View Full Version : What to get 1 yr old when we have everything already from big sister

mykidsmom
10-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I know many have had this similar problem so I hope you can help. My baby will turn 1 next month and her sister is turning 3. Yes, TWO girls just TWO years apart. What on earth do I get the baby for her birthday and the holidays that we DON"T already have? What do I suggest to grandparents who are already asking when I have no idea myself.

Yes, I realize that a 1 yr old has no clue if they even get a present or if it is new, etc, but I am looking for suggestions for something NEW to get for her that is HERS and not just left over from her big sister :)

Thanks!

schums
10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
How about some new chunky puzzles for her? Or a few new board books (ours always looked REALLY bad after awhile)? Accessories to things you already have (like a few new FP people, if you've got those sets)? Our DC always get ornaments (and have since birth), so you could look for something "collectable" like that. New bath toys were a hit at that age. Also, we got DC a sand and water table for Christmas that is still being used. We used it inside with rice and beans until the weather warmed up.

I'll keep thinking. Hope some of these help you!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

deannanb
10-05-2007, 04:33 PM
membership to a children's museum
or grandparents could pay for gymboree classes

a new copy of her favorite book (someone on here once said that they wish their mom had done that because one of the siblings got all of the books - and she didn't get any of her childhood books) - you can put the book away for future years...

and i like the idea the pp had!

let us know what you end up getting!

giavila
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
This is so hard isn't? We are going through this as well. We have 2 DD's 2.5 years apart. DD2 just turned 1 a couple weeks ago and we ended up getting her instruments to add to the collection we already have. We bought her a Schoenhut piano (one of the smaller ones), a Remo Tom drum, and a rainmaker. She also got some books and a few Schleich animal figures that she really likes.

My family always asks me and I told them that I really was having a hard time coming up with stuff so they mostly gave her money for her college fund. She also got a few gift cards so we can always save them for later if we think of anything she might want.

I know a lot of people recommend the Holztiger animals. She can start her own collection. Does she have her own doll? A special book? Music CDs? More art supplies? Something you can save for later?

Hope that helps.

o_mom
10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Shoot, try three boys in 4 years.... ;-)

We mainly wrap up stuff we already have to give to the younger ones, but I do try and get them at least a few new things. Art stuff is good - as you are always using it up. Crayola has some toddler stuff out that looks fun. Accessories to go with what you have - for example, if you have the Little People Castle, get one of the small accessory sets. Magazine subscriptions - BabyBug, Wild Animal Baby, etc.

pinkmomagain
10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I have 3 girls, but my last is six years from my middle dd. I hear your pain.

Personalized stuff? I like those personalized bath towels in many of the catalogues. Little name bracelet.

New bath toys...those get gross after awhile.

Items for her room....wall art, bedding, decorative pillows.

Things that need to be replenished such as playdoh or art supplies that she'll start using next year.

Also, stuff that you might need 2 of because they'll fight over them in the next year, such as babydoll and stroller.

HTH,

Gina

Jenn98
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I feel your pain. I have two girls who are just 17 months apart. And they are the first grandkids on BOTH sides, so our house already looks like a huge toy store thanks to the grandparents. And, DD#2 was born on Christmas Eve.

I have no idea what to get for either of them. We are too far from a lot of museums/zoos and we just don't need anything. And while I love art supplies and books, we already have 300+ books (yes, you read that correctly. my mom was a preschool teacher and gives us boxes of books every time we visit) and I have an entire shelving unit full of art supplies.

And I'm still pretty worried about the whole "made in china" thing the lead paint.

Can you imagine how the world would implode if I told the grandparents not to buy any more toys?! lol

bubbaray
10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have no idea.

I did get matching aprons from Williams & Sonoma a while back, but it will be a year or so before DD#2 can fit into hers, so I'm not sure if I should save both for then??

I like the personalized CD idea, DD#1 really loved hers. LL Bean does personalized books, I'm sure other companies do too. Can't go wrong with art supplies. Ikea has great stuff for that.

Leap Frog has some new little kid stuff, but the whole China thing has me concerned (though their stuff h/n been recalled from what I know).

My DD's GPs don't ask and often *forget* to buy gifts.... But, that's for the bitching post. :(

I was thinking her own Calin doll, but DD#1 rarely ever plays with hers, so its like brand new. DD#2 seems to like electronic/Leap Frog kind of toys more than DD#1 did/does, so maybe a Leap Frog Lily doll??

I dunno. I have pretty much finished my shopping for DD#1 and haven't started for DD#2 yet. Sigh.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

brittone2
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Personalized bath boat? I think they need orders early if you want them personalized.
http://www.bathboats.com/

DS got a lot of the "big" gifts already (he's 3.5). Shopping for DD is much harder! Part of her bday present is a birthday ring from Spiel Und Holz...starting a new family tradition. I might get a birthday crown and or banner to go w/ it. In our case, I'm planning on having the kids share the birthday ring, but it is not much clutter since it is out only a few times a year, and it brings a new tradition into the house.

mommab
10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I have 2 girls 2.5 years apart and have this same question!! I like all of the ideas in the previous posts.

I had the first birthday all figured out before they were even born - lol!! However, Christmases and other birthdays are another story. For each of the girl's first birthday, I got them a 12" Madame Alexander Huggums doll. They both only had a soft Gund baby doll for their first year, so the MA dolls were the first life-like dolls (though they have soft bodies).

Hth,

Globetrotter
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
My second (different gender, even) hardly needed any toys, so I didn't get them, except for a couple of things that were chewed on by #1 or new toys (unavailable the first time).

For a second girl, maybe her own doll. I LOVE the idea of asking grandparents to pay for classes or memberships to a museum/zoo, etc... Those add up FAST when you have more than one child.

Kris

Globetrotter
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
My second (different gender, even) hardly needed any toys, so I didn't get them, except for a couple of things that were chewed on by #1 or new toys (unavailable the first time).

For a second girl, maybe her own doll. I LOVE the idea of asking grandparents to pay for classes or memberships to a museum/zoo, etc... Those add up FAST when you have more than one child.

Kris