PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Response from recall "return"

Twoboos
10-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to share this twist on recalls/lead/returns. I tested DD1's Disney Princess lunchbox for lead, and the test came back positive in seconds. I had gotten it in 2006 at TJMaxx so it was probably a 2005 model. I was so po'd that I packed it up with a note and sent it off to the CEO of Disney to deal with.

Yesterday I received a DHL box from Global Design Concepts, which turns out to be the manufacturer of the lunchbox. They sent a new one (which was not my intention) and an interesting letter along with it. Basically they figure the lunchbox was fine and home tests aren't all that accurate. But better safe than sorry, I say.

Here's the text of the letter.

"Dear Ms. X,

Your letter to the Walt Disney Company regarding the "Princess" lunch bag that you purchased has been shared with Global Design COncepts because we, as a licensee of The Walt Disney Company, arrange for the manufacture and importation of that product for sale in the United States. We are concerned about the home lead-test result that you reported, but we have been informed by our independent laboratory that a "postitive" home test for lead may not be accurate or indicate that a product exceeds applicable standards for lead.

I would be interested in learning where and approximately when in 2006 you purchased the lunch bag, if you have that information. That might assist us in addessing the issue raised by your letter. The product line in question was manufactured with food-grade level PVC linings, and the lining material was tested by an independent laboratory in October 2005 to confirm that it met applicable lead standards, which it did.

The lunch bag that you returned is a relatively older product that utilized PVC linings, whereas our newer lunch boxes use nylon linings instead of PVC. I am enclosing with this letter a new "Princess" lunchbox with nylon linings. I realize you didn't request such a replacement, but I wanted to forward it and thank you for raising your concerns.

If you are able to provide details regarding the purchase, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Felice Stolzberg
VP Licensing/Marketing
Global Design Products"

So really, the question I have is - if the PVC levels were just fine, why did they switch over to nylon linings in these new ones?? <she asked sarcastically> Hmmmm...

Honestly, I would encourage anyone who doesn't know what to do with your recalled toys, send 'em back to corporate. To me it was worth the postage to have them think about this again. (But I'm a tad obnoxious like that. :-) )

lisams
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
we have
>been informed by our independent laboratory that a
>"postitive" home test for lead may not be accurate or indicate
>that a product exceeds applicable standards for lead.

I'm guessing that the test you took detects any amount of lead and that when tested by the independant lab, the levels did not exceed the standards (as in...some lead is allowed).

Scary.

Jenny_A
10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow! What great customer service!! I'm impressed! I'm thinking they switched to nylon because of all the problems with plastic in general?? Maybe they just learned it was a better material to use, but nothing necessarily wrong with the PVC material.

Kudos to you for sending it to corporate!

Jenny

tiapam
10-06-2007, 11:59 PM
What they don't say is if they tested the actual lunch box you sent and what the results were.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

megs4413
10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
it gave me the impression that they did not. or did not disclose the result.

if the lead levels were tested and found to be within allowable limits, they wouldn't care where she got it or when.

fishy, fishy, fishy, but i'm glad they paid attention to it.

Twoboos
10-08-2007, 03:18 PM
THAT is a good question, and I think I will include that when I "help" them by telling them where and approximately when I bought it. I'm sure I won't get a response about that one!