PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for MIL to buy for DS (3 yo) at local store

niccig
10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
MIL is in town on Wednesday and while she is here, she wants the two of us to go shopping for DS's 3rd birthday and Christmas presents, so she can leave them here until December. That's all good, except things I would suggest for presents are mostly online (gears, automblox etc).

Any suggestions for what we could find at Toys R Us or Target - my tastes are non-noisy, non-battery operated. I want to be able to guide the purchases, so we don't end up with more stuff than we need or want.

We have a kitchen and train set-up. We're giving DS a balance bike and the FP camera. He's into anything with wheels, or anything you have to build. I was thinking of a duplo set (we just have the basic blocks), maybe some dress up clothes?

Thanks.
Nicci

deannanb
10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I know you said non-noisy, but how about some musical instruments? A drum, egg shakers, rhythm sticks, tambourine? You can control the noise by playing along and playing with a sing along cd.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2332687

more duplos would be good
do you have wooden blocks or large cardboard bricks?

Easel and art supplies

books

puzzles

play silks

hth

brittone2
10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I keep a running list of brick and mortar, mainstreamish toys in case anyone asks what DS would like for Christmas.

My DS is going to be almost 4 by Christmas, but some things I suggested to my parents when they asked were:
Cranium Cariboo
a Playdoh extruder thingie (10ish dollars) that I've seen at our locally owned toystore.

bike accessories? I've seen those plastic license plates with the child's name on it at TRU, bike bells, horns, etc. It might be something to go with the bike theme. Helmet if he needs one?

I'm not sure if your DS is into games, but there are some decent games that are pretty easy to find in regular stores. DS likes Don't Spill the Beans, Hi Ho Cherry Oh, Memory, etc. and you can find most of those at Target or similar stores.

If he needs any more trains, or Melissa and Doug types of wooden toys (if you aren't opposed to made in China stuff), some AC Moore and Michaels stores carry that stuff, and you can use a 40% off coupon if they aren't already on sale. Our local AC Moore carries the M&D unit blocks, M&D barn, puzzles, train stuff, etc.

Books? DS started getting into chapter books around age 3. He likes things like Stuart Little, Ralph S. Mouse, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. YMMV on whether he's ready for that.

Art/craft supplies. Our Michaels carries Do-a-dot markers (like bingo dabbers). Most big box stores have stuff like those precut craft foam shapes, glue sticks, playdoh, various types of markers, googly eyes, etc. Again, not all kids are into that type of thing, but if you think he'd enjoy it, it is open ended, consumable, and pretty easy to find anywhere. Toys R Us also carries a bunch of Crayola, playdoh, etc.

DS likes the die-cast tractors they sell at Target (has gotten a bunch as gifts). If he's into wheels maybe something like that?

CDs?

I think TRU does carry stuff like Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, etc. Again, he might be a little young for that, but it may be an option. I think our local TRU carries a limited amount of Melissa and Doug products too.