PDA

View Full Version : ISO Quality Non-Toxic Stamps/Stamp Pads

smzapalac
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
My 2 DD is really into ink stamps. We would like to get her some to use for art projects, however, really don't know where to purchase them. I am very concerned with all the recalls and toxic levels in some of these toys that I am trying to find the safest possible stampers and stamp pads around. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

kayte
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I have some washable non toxic stamp pads from Lakeshore. I ordered them when I was a teacher and they came in a big set, but am pretty sure they came individually.

As for the stamps, most purschased at a stamp store with a wood handle are manufactured in the US (I used to work in the paper crafting industry which is how I know this) Most of the ones with the foam top ones and the ones with plasstic handles are not made here. A couple of mass market companies that sell at Michaels and the like that are made here are wood handled Hero Arts(made in CA), PSX- Personal Stamp Exchange (also CA), Hot Potatoes (TN).

Hero Arts makes a lot of nice solid shapes and bold simple abstract images that would be perfect for 2 year old art, though you might have to track down a stamp store for the more basic bold images. Hot Potatoes are good for too and are even cut deeper than your average everyday stamp as they are originally designed for fabric and heat stamping on velvet. This means that even if your little one piles on the paint or ink the image will come out clean.

Also I have also poured a little tempera paint onto a small sponge and used that as a stamp pad--especially good for stamping apples or potatoes.

HTH

smzapalac
10-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks so much for all this info. Really helpful!