PDA

View Full Version : Dress-Up Clothing/Accessory Storage???

smzapalac
10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
How do you store your children's play/dress-up clothing? Not sure what is the best way to store them, but also make them easily accessible to a child? Also, if you have photos of your child's play/dress-up area I would love to see them. I know some of you have done some amazing things for your little ones. Thanks!

greatcanuk
10-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm interested in the replies to this too. Currently I store DD's toys on an Expedit, which is working out well for us. Right now I'm using 2 of the cubes to store her dress-up stuff. One cube is for 'princess-y' clothes, the other is for everything else (pirate, witch, etc).

For the princess stuff in the first cube, I keep the clothing pieces in a little cardboard trunk that came with her dress-up set. I keep the accessories in a large ziplock outside of the 'trunk', as she sometimes uses the accessories without the clothes and I want to keep them visible.

As for everything else in the other cube, I use large ziplocks to keep the pirate stuff together, the witch stuff together, etc. If it is a small accessory that could be used for two costumes, like a compass let's say, I either keep it with the outfit she plays with more or else separate from both, but somewhere visible.

This system works decently well for us, but when she and her cousin play dress-up, the costumes end up being all over the floor and the rest of the apartment, and it's a bear to put everything away again. I just stuff it all back into the 2 cubes, until I have time to reorganize it. I wish I had room to make a cute little dress-up corner with a mirror or something, but I don't have the room. I used to keep all of her dress-up clothes mixed up in a large mesh bin, but I don't think she was finding everything she needed.

Csmille

Globetrotter
10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I would also like to know. My kids love to play dress up, but currently their clothes are dumped into a chest and, needless to say, that's not working out! I don't have a lot of space, though, maybe three feet max.

Kris

bubbaray
10-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I found a like-new Little Tikes Victorian bench (pink & white) on Craigslist. It works perfectly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTLE-TIKES-VICTORIAN-BENCH-AND-TOY-CHEST-GREAT-DEAL_W0QQitemZ330175172258QQihZ014QQcategoryZ94932 QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think they make them anymore, but I have seen them on eBay. DD#1 loves it!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

annasmom
10-13-2007, 06:21 AM
This topic is so timely for me, because it is my little project for this weekend.

Just this week a good friend told me how she cleaned out her front closet and put in a low tension rod for her dc to hang their dress-up. She said it has been really great. Then, just yesterday we were at a playdate where the mom had installed several mirrors on the wall in one corner of her basement. She had a row of hooks on the wall next to the mirrors to hang the dress-up clothes - and bins on the floor to store the extra parts.

Needless to say, I am inspired by both, and I just have to figure out which option works best for us. Right now all f our dress-up is in a big rubbermaid bin in my dd's room. It is o.k., but things get lost in there. And the dc really aren't able to reach everything without taking everything out, which causes a big mess - not the worst thing in the world.

I have a vague recollection of someone posting a picture of their playroom/basement recently that had a dress-up corner. I couldn't find it though.

Good luck!