PDA

View Full Version : Water filters?

niccig
10-21-2007, 11:10 AM
We want to stop getting water delivered and get a water filter under the sink. Any advice, pro/cons for the different systems? I'm going to get the plumber to install - DH and I draw the line at doing plumbing and electrical.
TIA
Nicci

ETA or when we replace the refrigerator in a couple of years, do I get a model that has filtered water on it?? I have an old refrigerator, it still works, but I'm looking to replace in the next 3 years or so.

MarisaSF
10-21-2007, 11:47 AM
We have a reverse osmosis system. Is that the type of system you're thinking of getting? Ours was installed before we bought our home, so I can't comment on the choice/installation process.

One thing to consider is upkeep cost. I just changed the filters and membrane this week. Each filter (3) costs about $14 and the membrane was $80. The filters need to be changed ~every year. The membrane needs to be replaced every 1-4 years depending on your water quality. You can save some money doing it yourself, but I paid for an expert this time so I could see how she does it; I may be able to do it in the future. To get them professionally changed, it would cost ~$120 every year and about $215 whenever you need a new membrane.

Our RO unit has a tube that connects to the ice maker and water thing in the fridge. Some fridges have their own filters.

gatorsmom
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Marisa gave you good pricing info on the reverse osmosis system. We had well water with a water softener and it the water didn't taste good. So, we always got our drinking water from the refridgerator dispense which has a filter. Until 6 months ago when the dispenser stopped working, for some reason. The fridge is 5 years old.

So, we bought a reverse osmosis system and I love it. The water tastes better than what came out of the fridge dispenser and I think it's even better than bottled water. HTH

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

lisams
10-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Just this past week we had a RO system put in under the sink. We got ours at Lowes for about $150. Costco has one that I think takes up less room but is able to filter more water, and it was about $200. I think the filter replacements are cheaper with the Costco one. I wish we would have gotten that one, but it's too late now. We had a new sink/faucet, disposal and RO put in all for $250 by our plumber so I can't tell you exactly how much just the RO installation would be.

I really like it. We were doing the water jugs and not only was it a pain when we needed to fill them up, but I was concerned about our drinking water sitting in plastic all the time. The water tastes great - even better than bottled IMO.

niccig
10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone. Good to hear about Costco, I'll look at that if we decide to do with it. We have an older undersink model that came with the house and we're not sure if it even works properly. I think the first step is to check that out, and we'll keep using it if it's OK, and if I can get replacement filters (previous owner said they were discontinued, but I might be able to find something that will work with it). I do want a RO, but it makes more $$ sense to wait until the kitchen gets done (in a couple of year), unless we can't get the current one to work. Then it'll be off to costco.

ETA Did any of you notice an increase in your water bill because of the RO system. I read that they use and extra 4 gallons for every 1 gallon filtered. I like that it filters out contaminants but I am concerned about extra water used but not drunk.
Thanks.