PDA

View Full Version : mess free art for almost 2 year old

cchavez
10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Besides color wonder stuff, what do you recommend? Thanks!

kayte
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I have found that art is usually messy. But I have also found is that if I am prepared the mess is a lot more manageable. I try to set up an art project while DD (21 months) naps. I put a plastic mat on the floor or cover the table with paper,put the paint in tiny cups, etc... --whatever is necessary, She wouldn't have the patience for proper setup so I use naptime. I also prep the sink with her learning tower near by for any projects that require hand (arm, leg) washing right after.

We also use finger paint on the tub walls in her diaper, then just rinse the tub, remove the diaper and have a bath.

We have an aqua doodle that on some days holds her attention --that's pretty mess-free.

I also tape colored construction paper to the kitchen floor and give her a wet paint brush --the paper changes color until the water dries. I hold the cup of water to rewet the brush.

A plastic placemat makes play-dough easy to cxlean up --I throw ours in the dishwasher.

We have also used lyra window crayons on the outside of our glass single panel doors on days when DH is mowing the lawn and he hoses it off when he's cleaning the mower and what not.

We do sidewalk chalk in the morning when we are still in our PJs and then strip DD down to her diaper when we come inside the door. Throw the pjs in the wash and wash her hands.

I personally am not a fan of the color-wonder stuff. It seems really greasy and the artwork fads.

We also keep a large white piece of paper tapes (green painter's tape) to our coffee table and DD can color there anytime she wants (she used to have to ask for her crayons, now we trust her to leave a small set of washable ones out). When the paper is full we change it out. Works well.

HTH

Globetrotter
10-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Do a dot art! It's not completely mess free, but great for this age.

Kris

ellies mom
10-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Really, I guess it depends on your idea of mess. I keep crayons, color pencils and paper out for DD's use whenever she wants as well as chalk for her easel. Washable markers are great in the dining room and kitchen. The watercolor paints are pretty easy to clean up. I don't mind messes so we do a lot of painting, playdoh, clay, glue, whatever.

One warning about color wonder though, the only thing I've ever had stain DD's clothing was color wonders finger paint. The stuff will discolor wood and cloth if not removed but the problem is that it is hard to see until it is too late.

hbridge
10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Foamies! You can buy them in different shapes with the sticky backs (like stickers) and the child can stick it to other foamie pieces (or paper). When DC was really young we decorated picture frames and photo albums for holiday gifts. Sometimes it's difficult for a young child to get the paper off the back, but the only mess is sweeping up little pieces of paper and foam.

hillview
11-02-2007, 02:13 PM
we use the aquadoodle often. also good is a magnetic doodle pad. we also use crayons (washable) on a counter with paper taped to the counter. If he draws on other items the crayons go away.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

californiagirl
11-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Paint with water. And I don't mean official paint with water colouring books. Nope, I mean paintbrush, water, construction paper. Or blackboard.

Jenn98
11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Um, we don't avoid the mess. We just do it right before bath time! lol

alien_host
11-03-2007, 03:14 PM
How about stickers? As long as you don't mind finding them on the sofa, shoes, or your butt. ;) At 2, DD could entertain herself with stickers for a long time. I give her a sheet and a large piece of paper and she goes to town. We also take blank cardstock and make cards.

I find playdoh actually isn't too bad. I just use a plastic placemat on the table and vacuum the floor right after.

For the most part I do messier projects out on the deck. But with winter coming that's not going to happen.

I'm not a big fan of the washable markers b/c she really gets it everywhere (hands, clothes, table) so I stick with washable crayons and colored pencils. Markers I do outside.

DD loves gluing so we do collages with cut out pictures from magazines - glue sticks aren't too bad and you can find washable ones.