PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bumbo or BebePod - How safe/unsafe are these products?

dme147
10-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I have been thinking about registering for a Baby Bumbo Seat, but then recently read about a safety recall. It appears as though the seat is safe as long as it remains on the floor and is supervised by an adult? I would love some parent feedback on the use of these seats. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I've heard too many stories of babies popping out, arching out or leaning out of them for my comfort level. In all honesty I am not sure I would be right next to baby on the floor 100% of the time to be able to prevent baby from whacking themselves off the floor. It's too easy to get lulled into a false sense of security.

I also have concerns about babies being out in the seated position before they are ready. If they were meant to be sitting up they would be. I am a big fan of them developing at a natural pace. Basically mastering skills that happen when you leave them to have plenty of floor time. :)

Finally, they are pretty pricey for a pretty limited life. I can think of other things I would rather register for.

All that said, there are plenty of moms who like them and have used them successfully.

Beth

MamaMolly
10-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Just my BTDT: I had a Bumbo for DD and it was useful...for about 10 minutes. Long story short, ours had a very limited life span. Total waste of money, which made me mad b/c we don't have a lot to spare on buying baby products that aren't useful. Maybe it was too late when we got it, she was about 5 months. I passed it along to my neice but she is a wiggle worm and popped right out of it.

Personally, I preferred letting her sit up with 2 pillows in a v-shape behind her to give her a safe spot to land when she fell back. That and the ever-so-important tummy time!

HTH,
Molly

Jo..
10-31-2007, 08:56 PM
We had one and used it. Like pp said, it's lifesapn is limited, we used ours for about a month. If you find one on CL or get one as a gift, I say go for it, on the floor and on a soft surface only (like carpet). I was always paranoid enough that I would NEVER leave DS on a table or counter in anything, and I think this is a good policy.

val01
10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I have one. I use it on the floor only and within arms distance. That being said, my Bumbo was given to me by a girlfriend who had twins. I bought the $6 tray for it. DD seems to like it better with the tray.

Valerie

PS. I wouldn't pay full price for one. If I had to get one, I would buy it used from Craigslist, or ask around to your friends. Someone is bound to have one...

floridamommy
10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Mine was a gift, but I have to say I really have enjoyed it for both kids. Yes, limited life span...but it did serve a valuable purpose for about 2-3 months for DD and my DS is still using it. I use it daily to feed him (on floor not a table) and it is helpful. I would hesitate about paying full price, but that said...I am glad I have had the use of it for 2 children.

new_mommy25
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
I bought mine like new from a friend for $20. We only used it a few months but I loved it and would use it again. We had it on the dining room table and the only time DD was ever in it was when we ate. She was our centerpiece. :) They say not to use it on a table but in our case I think it was okay because we were all sitting at the table and we NEVER ever walked away with her in it.

dme147
11-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Very helpful!

Thank you!

dme147
11-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Great! Thank you!

rgors
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I'll be another naysayer. We love our Bumbo. DD loves our Bumbo. It was a gift but I would have paid full price for it. That said, they still look new after months of use so I would be happy getting one used, as well.

Starting about 3.5 mos, we put DD in it for literally 1-2 minutes at a time. She'd always giggle. About 4mos, we started putting her in it for 10 minute stretches, then at 5 mos sometimes even 30 minutes. Maybe that's too long but she does enjoy it.

I never worried about the "if they are meant to be sitting than they will sit" aspect. DD SO very much preferred to be sitting up than lying down. I have things to do and I can't hold her on my lap ALL day long. I might sound like a neglectful parent, but really, I'm down on the floor with her playing at least 2 hours a day, I spend a lot of hours "wearing" her... sometimes my arms just needed a break. I didn't want to buy an exersaucer due to the proven problems in leg development (there's a poster here very knowledgeable about it -- forget her handle). I didn't want to prop her up with pillows on a couch as it's an elevated surface. Pillows or the bouncy seat didn't get DD sitting up straight enough for her enjoyed new perspective. DD still gets plenty of non-restrained floor time every day. So I feel mostly (but not entirely) absolved of bumbo-guilt.

Locations. When I know I am going to walk away (bad mommy!) then she only goes in the bumbo on the carpet with a full assortment of toys. We've found that the "boppy" pillow will fit around the bumbo, sort of like a moat. I prop 2-4 of her favorite toys on there with her in the bumbo and then go start dinner.

When we are right next to her, I will put the bumbo nestled into a corner on the sofa -- we have a very deep firm cushion sofa and this feels sturdier to me than nestled between pillows.

Now we are using this with the play tray as her first high chair. She actually sits well in her Chicco high chair, but that tray is at chin height for her. So the bumbo fits her better for starting these first foods. She's 60%ile for height.

We've also found that her favorite "ring clip" toys will clip onto the edge of the bumbo play tray, which is another avenue for entertainment.

I NEVER put her on elevated surface unless I am behind her (or the couch back is behind her and I am in front of her).

So, we've used ours daily from 3.5 months old and in fact I would pay MORE than full price for it. I noticed this week that she has started arching her back, however, so I am going to start using the real high chair as her "restrained device when I have to walk away to start dinner." She likes that as it's a couple feet off the ground and I wheel the high chair into the kitchen so I can talk to her and she can see what I am doing. We'll still use the bumbo as her first foods high chair though, so I would say we'll get 4 months of use out of it.

babyready
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I so hear you on babies wanting to sit upright ALL THE TIME when they are that age but I just couldn't hold her in that position constantly. And pillows didn't hold her, we did that once she was already sitting up pretty well to catch her when she tipped.

Anyway, we didn't have one with dd1 (they weren't around then or at least I hadn't seen them) but picked one up at a garage sale (for $8!!) for the coming baby. I have only seen them used by others but think I will like it. However, I would never pay full price for one given its limited use.

rgors
11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I look at the cost this way. Lots of people buy baby clothes, an outfit for say $20 (that's being nice), that gets worn once. I am happy to pay $40 for a baby gear item that gets used EVERY day.

But that said -- they really do "hold up" very well. I can't tell the difference between a used one and a new one, honestly. So why pay $40 if you can pay $8? I'd certainly buy the $8 bumbo with that choice.

But if I didn't have the $8 choice, I'd still spend $40 and feel it was well spent on a baby gear item used every DAY, versus when I am hosting playgroup and all my baby's little friends come over in their Janie and Jack outfits that we never see again. :)

nicknack
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I think it was only recalled due to negligence on parents' behalf, not that the product itself is dangerous, you know?

I think we bought ours (can't remember!) and I really liked it, even though it was for a short period of time. Oh, it was the Bumbo, not the other one (that one seems too stiff for me). This was for our second and I found that it came in very handy when I didn't want her lying on the floor where my son could more easily get her!

And yes (sue me!) I did have her up on the counter in it, but that was only when I was right there either feeding my son dinner or prepping stuff for him to eat. It was nice to have her up there so she could look around and see what was going on as opposed to having her in a swing or something down lower.

I say go for it since you're not going to be buying it yourself!

jeniferrlynne
11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
We have the bebepod and my MIL has 3 bumbos at her house . We used them for feeding on the table all the time. Of course we were sitting there feeding him so I felt fine with it. They are slightly different in material. The bumbo has less give but therefore seems sturdier. But the bebepod has some flex which worked well for wider legs, and a slightly different base shape, so I would be interested to see if it would turn over like the bumbo. Though I am not willing to leave my next baby alone in the pod to see :).
We also used it in the tub to hold him while bathing. Great for us, but once again not recommended for idiots who may leave them alone.

I loved this product. Would buy again.

babyready
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Very true. Life-saving baby gear can be priceless! And the used one does look as good as new. Also, on Craiglist and in resale shops the used ones are going for 25-35 bucks. So, you can definitely get your money back!

Jen841
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
These are unsafe if the parents are unsafe with how they use it IMO. If you use it safely, it is a GREAT thing.

We discovered it a bit late for #2. My niece LIVED in hers b/c she wanted to sit up. She had some muscle issues, and it really helped her.

It was priceless for first foods for Evan. I sat him on the table (with me right with him) and fed him. Way more upright than any highchairs.

Limited life, I had an action kid, so it was pretty much used for the nebulizer and first foods, and when he wanted to sit right next to big brother.