PDA

View Full Version : Elmo / Dora / Pooh Knows Your Name - any reviews?

Mirthful
11-03-2007, 04:50 AM
I am thinking about getting the Elmo Knows Your Name doll and I was hoping for some feedback from any parents that have this.

Did your DC like it, do they still play with it? Is it really a nightmare to program? Any tips?

Would you steer me towards something else?

This is for my Elmo-obsessed 23 month old. I wish I were exaggerating - I feel like she asks for Elmo constantly. She's even been asking for Elmo's Song as her bedtime lullaby and, because she's heard it so much, will even insert the the little comments that Big Bird makes in the song, "I like it!" and "Catchy!" (insert roll eyes).

So, any feedback would be great.
Thanks in advance!

deannanb
11-03-2007, 07:26 AM
not difficult to program...
it was actually kind of fun.

just be sure to not shut it off when you get mad at elmo
Elmo would start singing and I'd shut it off...
then we'd turn it back on at another time - and that would reset the clock.... meaning that at 2 am Elmo would start talking and tell you it was time for lunch.

It was fun for a short while - but he doesn't play with it much anymore.

It was a gift - not sure I would have bought it for ds.

If you do get it, be sure to unlock elmo from all of the safety ties and set him up first - then wrap it (if a gift). It took me 30 minutes to get out of the box - and this was with DS screaming the entire time for Elmo

ellies mom
11-03-2007, 10:38 AM
You mean the thing just starts randomly talking throughout the day? Not just when your child is actively playing with it? If you can't shut it off how do you make it shut up?

That so would not go over well in my house.

buddyleebaby
11-03-2007, 11:53 AM
>
>This is for my Elmo-obsessed 23 month old. I wish I were
>exaggerating - I feel like she asks for Elmo constantly.
>She's even been asking for Elmo's Song as her bedtime lullaby
>and, because she's heard it so much, will even insert the the
>little comments that Big Bird makes in the song, "I like it!"
>and "Catchy!" (insert roll eyes).
>
>

Sing it Mr.S!!

just_teachin
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
We toyed with getting DD this and then won a TMX Elmo last fall right when they came out. (Should've sold the dang thing- she was scared of it!)

That said, there were some of these Elmo Knows... on the clearance endcap at our Target last weekend... just 30% off, but keep an eye out...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, almost three!!
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Proudly breastfed for 24 months and 7 days! Corinne has self-weaned!

updacountry
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok, I have both the Elmo knows your name and the TMX Elmo. I bought the TMX last christmas and my DH said we should save it for a big profit. Well, that never happened! So for her 2nd birthday I wrapped it up for her and DH (who says she has way to many toys) buys her Elmo knows your name.

Well, for the first 6 hours over two days I wanted to kill Elmo. For some reason my computer did not like him. I didn't find Fisher Price to helpful. They ended up sending me a new disc but it will take two weeks to get here! I finally gave Elmo one last chance at work and had no problem! So now I always have to bring him to work to change him. This weekend was kind of tuff because he didn't understand the time change. I had put him in the closed and my DD still heard him say that it was time to wake up! I was afraid if I turned him off I would lose info like previously discussed so I am trying it at work today. At least everyone will know when it is lunchtime and naptime.

So my reccomendation is go for either one. My daughter does not watch TV but from a doll at daycare she has become obsessed with him. It has been two weeks but as soon as she gets up she gets both of them. I actually like TMX better, it really cracks me up. DD gets upset everytime he falls to laugh and says that he has a boo-boo. I think the Elmo knows your name will be more of a buddy and actually teach her something if me and DH don't freak out over his constant saying her name and wanting to play.

Sorry for the babble!

JBaxter
11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
We have the Elmo know your name and it was great for a while then it became possesed and would randomly start talking from the toy box. To Elmo's defense he may have had a little milk damage at one point but to have some thing say Elmo likes Maccaroni and Cheese at 11:OO when you are half asleep watching the news is a little creepy.

updacountry
11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
>We have the Elmo know your name and it was great for a while
>then it became possesed and would randomly start talking from
>the toy box. To Elmo's defense he may have had a little milk
>damage at one point but to have some thing say Elmo likes
>Maccaroni and Cheese at 11:OO when you are half asleep
>watching the news is a little creepy.

I think it may be your batteries dying. I found mine started doing that also when I had the orginal batteries or he would start saying half sentences! It sounded like he was drinking or something, very confused Elmo!

Mirthful
11-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Your turn Snuffles pal!

=) I'm waiting to see which of these she learns first.

I swear that I hear "la-la la la" in my sleep!

Mirthful
11-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Thank you all SO much for all the info! You've definitely given me stuff to think about. We have the TMX Elmo and while she likes it okay, her favorite mechanical Elmo is actually the Hokey Pokey Elmo.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I like the idea that it has to stay on all the time ... has anyone turned it on and off as needed without messing up the programming?