PDA

View Full Version : Doll stroller or shopping cart that is sturdy enough for prewalker/early walker?

aidansmommy
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm starting to make my birthday and Christmas list for dd who will be turning 1 in December. She's crawling and cruising now and I'd like to get her both a doll stroller and shopping cart. Are there any out there that are sturdy enough to support an early walker?

Heidi
Mommy to Aidan 11/03 and Amelia 12/06

ellies mom
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Little Tykes makes a shopping cart that is sturdy as anything but I would be concerned that it would get away from an early walker even on carpet. Same thing with doll strollers but adding that most of them are pretty tippy. For a good comprise, I'd consider a Radio Flyer Walker wagon or the Haba wagon. I know the RF wagon has clickers on the back wheels to slow it down. I'm not sure if the Haba wagon has something similar. We bought the RF for DD when she turned a year old also and she still plays with it at four, so they do have a good lifespan.

brittone2
11-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I would agree w/ the above. The RF walker wagon and the Haba walker wagon are sturdy and will support a prewalker/early walker. DD turns 1 in Dec. and she's been using the Haba walker wagon since she was about 8 months or so without much difficulty. It goes at a manageable pace even on hardwood. Both are a little expensive, but the Haba one can also be used as a doll stroller (DS likes using it and he's 3.5). Lots of kids seem to like the RF walker wagon as a shopping cart, doll stroller, or a toy wagon for a while after using it to walk.

When I worked in early intervention, I had a shopping cart style one that was pretty decent because it had a really wide base and the handle was centered well over the center of gravity. It moves pretty fast for a newish walker or a prewalker though. The Haba goes slowly, and the RF has little clicker things that can be used to slow it down. Adding weight to the wagon portion (like some heavy books) will slow it down some more if necessary.