PDA

View Full Version : American Girl type dolls...

ctmom
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
dd#2 wants an American Girl doll for her b-day. I don't want to get her one because she is only turning 4 and I know she isn't responsible enough for such an expensive doll. DD#1 received a hand me down American Girl doll for her 6th bday and I would love to get dd#2 a less pricey alternative. I know Target sells the "Our Generation" ones and today at Costco I saw a Madame Alexander "Alexander Girlz" 18 inch doll. Does anyone here have any experience with these or another 18 inch doll? DD#1 plays with hers almost everyday and she and dd#2 would love to have "sisters"...

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

egoldber
11-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Gotz has an 18" Precious Day doll. In fact, Gotz used to manufacture the AG 18" dolls before they were bought by Mattel, so these are extremely close to the AG 18" dolls.

http://www.liveandlearn.com/gotz/index.html (scroll down a bit)

I have not heard good things about the Target dolls, although if they are cheap enough (I don't know how much they are) you may not care. I saw the MA Girlz the other day and was also curious about them.

Older AG dolls are always available on eBay also.

bubbaray
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm getting DD#1 a Corolle 14" toddler doll for Christmas. They also make 17" toddler dolls, you could try one of those. Personally, I much prefer the Corolle dolls over AG ones -- I think its a personal thing. The 14" toddlers come in blond, brunette and redhead. Not as much variety as AG. IIRC, the 17" toddlers come only in blonde and brunette. Can you tell I've spent FAR too much time researching this !@#%$% doll!! :)

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Globetrotter
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I would go for the Madame Alexander doll, any day! I'm not a fan of AG dolls, though. I find the MA, Corelle and Gotz are much nicer. We have a Gotz that can wear AG clothing. It's really nice and I got it from Tuesday Morning so it wasn't expensive.

Oh, the other day dd and her friends were talking about AG and dd said "My mom says they are too expensive." so I started bragging about I found the same kind of doll for much cheaper. Then dd says, "Mommy, that was from Santa."

OOPS. However, I was saved because we had seen the Costco dolls. I told her I was talking about those. phew.

Kris

egoldber
11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
For an older girl, the AGs are fabulous because of the books and the historical tie ins. Now that Sarah is reading chapter books, she loves the idea of the AG doll much more. For younger girls, I think the idea of the AG doll is appealing, but is probably better for an older kid. JMO.

ctmom
11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
thanks for the replies! I want to stick with a 18 inch doll so they can share clothes. I like the Gotz dolls, I was going to get dd#1 one last year, but then she got her cousin's AG doll. They are still expensive vs the MA one at Costco. (the madame alexander one is only $24.99). The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the MA one...

Thanks again!

btw, here is a link to the same MA doll, being sold on ebay for twice the price...

http://item.express.ebay.com/Madame-Alexander-Girlz-18-Doll-w-Accessories-w-Cat_W0QQitemZ120179679463QQihZ002QQtrZexpQQcmdZExp ressItem

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03