PDA

View Full Version : What is your DC making for gifts?

hbridge
11-08-2007, 07:02 AM
As another spin off to the gift giving thread, what is your DC making to give as gifts?

DC loves to make necklaces and is very good at it so she has made one for each of her teachers. Also I got some inexpensive wooden boxes at Michaels which she has painted.

We will also be doing some kitchen projects like chocolate covered pretzels.

So what's everyone elses DC doing? I'm always looking for new ideas.

Thanks

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Cookies, candies and ornaments.

Beth

hbridge
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Ooh, candy is a great idea! What kind are you making?

Also what type of ornaments? I was thinking of doing something with sculpey or sand art, but I'm not sure what or how.

Thanks

kaileysmom
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I was going to Michael's this weekend to look for ornaments for DD to paint. What did you use to make the necklaces? This sounds like a good idea for gift bags for her birthday party at school.

sweetpea
11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I buy the unfinished wood ornaments and decorations from Michaels and let dd paint them, then I spray them with clear finish so they last. This year I found cute wooden little sleighs to put gift cards and candy in after she decorates them.

We also make our own gift bags out of the plain paper ones from Michaels. Dd paints them and glues pom poms/snowflakes/feathers/whatever to them.

kitmama
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
So far, I've only planned some baking (Littleman and I make a signature pumpkin bread!) and homemade cards. I'm interested to spot some other ideas!

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
They are still in generic idea form at the moment. ;) I am waiting for the December Family Fun magazine for ideas (should have come by now...maybe my subscription ran out??). If I feel totally overwhelmed with a new baby we may just make some of the felt ornaments from Michael's. I think we will make truffles for sure. maybe some shaped chocolates too.

Beth

jacksmom0902
11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I've made a yummy snack mix in the past that DS1 has helped with the prep but I think I'm moving on to a new food gift this year.

We are making notecards and painting flowerpots for teachers and family members.

I look forward to reading the creative ideas from others.

Karla

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I forgot that we made Chex Mix last year and it was a huge hit! Thanks for the reminder. :)

Beth

hbridge
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi,

For necklaces, she's done wooden beads on cords, just tied that have been great for a totally DC created, all I have to do is tie the cord. However, I also let her string jewelry beads on wires and then put clasps on them for her to give to her teachers, grandparents and special ladies in her life. I use to make jewelry so this started as simply letting her have fun with my old supplies and has morphed into something she loves to do. It does get expensive since we go the bead shop and I let her pick out a tube or two of larger "pony" beads along with some coordinating "special" beads. But she loves to make them and they look great!

Thanks so much for the ornament idea. I think I'll get some wooden ornaments and have her paint them to tie on packages.

hbridge
11-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Do wood ornaments work better than plaster? I'm trying to decide which to have her paint and since she will cover the ornament with paint, but won't paint actual features I didn't know if the plaster may work better.

Thanks

new_mommy25
11-10-2007, 06:09 PM
A while back I bought a pack of holiday themed foam frames (2x3"). DS and DD will decorate them and they will go to grandparents, aunts and uncles, and maybe teachers if I have enough left over.