PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations for 4-5 year old boy?

millerpjm
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
A spin-off of the Christmas threads....

I want to add some books to DS's hint list for the relatives. Anyone have any favorites for this age range? We have most of the Dr. Seuss and Curious George books...

TIA!

Jen

nicknack
11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I just posted a rec the other day for The Runaway Dinner, it's hysterical!

brittone2
11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
DS is approaching 4 and has been interested in chapter books for a while now. Do you think he'd be into those?

Some ones we've read or have on hand to read soon:

Stuart Little
Ralph S. Mouse series
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Little House in the Big Woods
Cricket in Times Square
Henry Huggins
Corduroy series
The Littles
Pippi
there are a bunch more that are escaping me, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Oh, the Elsa Beskow books are awesome. DS loves these from the library, so we finally purchased one and I'd like to add the collection. Peter in Blueberry Land and Children of the Forest are both really sweet.

kedss
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
we love the Frog and Toad books, and if he likes Pop-up Books, there are some really cool ones out there. :)

http://www.robertsabuda.com/popupbks.asp

kayte
11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
The Magic Tree House series is good to start at about that age...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Tree_House

And if you child likes them, then relatives always know what to get --the next book in the series...

ECMom
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Take a look at the Usborne books website - www.ubah.com. Some favorites at our house are the dinosaur/sharks lift-a-flap, jigsaws, phonics, 1001 things to spot, farmyard tales, and puzzles. The dinosaur excavation kits are also good.

sue_g
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Beth,
I had the Cricket in Times Square and The Littles books when I was a child, but forgot all about them. Now I will have to buy them for my ds. Did you get them at amazon or somewhere less expensive? Any additional suggetions please post them here.