PDA

View Full Version : Holiday gifts for special needs kids

Gena
11-08-2007, 04:06 PM
What are you getting for the special needs child in your life?

I read the holiday lists threads and realized that my 3.5 year old DS with HFA would be completely uninterested or confused by many of the toys listed there. He doesn’t even understand the holidays or the concept of presents. So we’re using this Christmas to stock up on items we can incorporate into his at home therapy program.

Here are some items I’m putting on his wish list:

Weighted bean bags (I’ll make these)
A rocker board (Hubby will make this)
Sit ‘n Spin
Learning to Sequence cards (4 step sequences)
Pattern blocks & boards
Floor puzzles and maze puzzles (for fine motor skills)
Pencil grips
Emotions cards and books
Classification mats
A sounds lotto game to work on auditory processing

I’m interested in seeing what other special needs kids will be getting.

the mommy
11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi-

I saw this post and wanted to give a quick (but is turns out incredibly wordy) reply before I forgot! If you are starting working on auditory processing, following directions, and taking turns games are a really good present. They also require another person to play so are more likely to encourage children to invite you into their play.

Some suggestions are
Fisher price Barnyard Bingo (sorting by animal and color)

Don't Break the Ice (just use one hammer and it is a lot easier to understand the turn taking for younger kids)

Memory Games

Crocodile Dentist- great for joint attention and also is easier to practice turn taking

Lucky Ducks- fun and helps practice recognizing shapes/colors however it is pretty loud with all the quacking so it may be distracting if your child has trouble with noise.

Hullaballo- (cranium) currently my DD favorite game. Is a combo of musical chairs/simon says/and twister. Really fun and forces kids to listen to the spoken directions. Because it is an electronic "voice" you or your therapist can then more available to help your child follow the directions with physical prompts if needed.

Cariboo (cranium) two levels of play with card to match game squares.

Other suggestions-

anything to encourage pretend play- dress up, play food, doctor kits.

Books about feelings/emotions-
http://www.amazon.com/Way-I-Feel-Janan-Cain/dp/1884734715/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194821706&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/When-Sophie-Gets-Angry-Really/dp/0439598451/ref=pd_sim_b

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Gonna-Like-Me-Self-Esteem/dp/0060287616/ref=pd_sim_b

Bean bag chairs

trampoline

sensory box of pinto beans or rice for indoor "sand box" Costco is a good place to get the beans if you are a member.

musical instruments- two sets so you can both play the same instrument and practice imitation.

Gymboree bubbles- fun and last almost forever.

Indoor tents/pop up tunnels.

Okay I am sure that is way more than you really wanted to hear about. :) If there is an area you are really working on I may have a few more suggestions.

Happy Shopping!

Heather

kochh2
11-12-2007, 09:58 AM
hi! i have helped some of my clients parents with this very dilemma, but i can't figure out what HFA stands for, so i can't make educated recommendations... I'm a pedi PT, and pretty much play for a living lol!! I'd be happy to help, just tell me more!! :)Holly

brittone2
11-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Holly-
my guess is High Functioning Autism, but hopefully the OP will confirm that's what she meant.

NewGrandma
11-16-2007, 12:02 AM
can you tell me how your husband is going to build the rocker board? I think my grandson would enjoy playing on one and hope it would help build up his core muscles.
Thank you,
Linda

Gena
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Heather,

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to put games on his list. We already play lots of board games with DS. His current favorites are Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, Balloon Lagoon, and Connect Four. He also likes playing dominoes and card games. We're looking for some more challenging games for him.

Good suggestions on the emotions books. I'll add those to his Amazon wish list!

We already have a lot of the other stuff you mentioned: instruments, boxes of beans, bean bag chairs, play food, tunnels, etc. I'd love to get him a mini-trampoline, but we really don't have the room for it. His OT recommended that I hold his hands and let him jump on the physioball, so that's what we do. :)

Auditory processing is a difficult area for my son. Since he can read, we write a lot of things down for him and work on gradually fading the written prompts. I'm looking at the Soundtracks Lotto game because it works on identifying environmental sounds, which is a big problem right now.

Thanks for your response and I'm interested in any other suggestions you might have.

Gena
11-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes, my son has High Functioning Autism. He also has Hyperlexia (early reading combined with difficulties learning verbal language) and Dyspraxia (motor planning disorder).

Gena
11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
The rocker board will be like this one:

http://www.southpawenterprises.com/store/rocker-board-small,Product.asp

My son's OT told us that they are very easy to make. Use plywood for the base, rockers, and cross supports; put all the pieces together with wood glue and nails; cover the base with a carpet remnant. We're going to use the same dimensions as the small board: 28" l x 25" w x 7.5" h.

I hope that helps.

kochh2
11-16-2007, 11:00 PM
good ideas so far!! how about some music- like, music for moderation types of things? also, a resistance tunnel is fun!! how abotu a body sock?? i second the jumping on the therapy ball for a jumping activity, but it limits his independence- could you get a tramp for outside?? no good in winter, but it will be great for warmer weather....
how about computer programs of DVD's??

imharpersmom
11-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Both DD and DS are on the spectrum, so we're having this dilemma as well. Most of the time I end up telling family members NOT to buy anything, since most of what they buy ends up getting returned or donated.
DD isn't into toys AT ALL, but she loves bouncing, so we've gotten her a bounce house and a trampoline that she loves. We also installed a swing in our basement for her. This year I'm trying to get more pretend play things for her- a dollhouse and dress-up stuff.
DS is more into toys, but still doesn't necessarily play correctly with them. We're getting him a small train set and a bunch of puzzles. He also loves stacking rings (sorting pieces, stacking them, sorting them again), so we're getting him a couple different ones.
Most of the stuff that we buy (holidays or otherwise) seems to be for their therapy, but we still try to make it fun for them. They don't understand the concept of Christmas (or presents), but the grandparents need some ideas for things to buy. They get sick of buying them books which is what I usually tell them.
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Erin

Harper 9.22.04
Gibson 1.19.06