PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Costco 18 inch Madame Alexander doll vs. American Girl

Globetrotter
11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
I bought one for dd for her birthday (we had some bday money left and she loved the doll so I went for it). It's good for the money (just $25) and I do like it a lot better than the Target ones (Our Generation).

The Costco Madame Alexander hair is thin and I don't think you can style the front because the "scalp" shows when you move the hair even a bit - the girl needs some Rogaine!! The back is thick enough. However, the MA doll has what they call a chest plate so that area looks more natural. The AG dolls don't have that, according to the review below, which I read AFTER I bought the MA doll!! It was an impulse buy and it was $25 so I thought what the heck! I much prefer the look of the MA dolls but I think that's because AG doesn't make one that really looks like dd (the brown skinned one really doesn't look anything like her and I don't like the AG eyes - why are the pupils so big??) but MA has one that is reasonably close. I think the MA face is more attractive. That is completely a personal preference, obviously!! I wasn't at ALL impressed with the MA clothing or hair accessories (I also didn't like the way they styled it so I undid it - is this my doll or hers? gee, you be the judge!!). I think AG is FAR superior in that regard.

This review even has pictures and a side by side comparison! Apparently the MA ones are slimmer than AG so they can fit into AG clothing but may be a little baggy in some cases??

ETA: I didn't write this review LOL

http://community.livejournal.com/ag_over_18/411646.html

I have to admit I've become obsessed with 18" dolls in my research and AG is growing on me - I NEVER had all this stuff as a child but I would have loved it! I had no idea that grown women sit around taking pictures of dolls and comparing minute details, but here I am becoming one of them LOL All that aside, dd absolutely loves this MA doll because it does kind of look like her!

Kris