PDA

View Full Version : Are playsilks not for babies who will put them in their mouths?

aidansmommy
11-10-2007, 10:25 AM
We don't have any playsilks but I've read many posts here from people who love them at their homes and I'm thinking about ordering some for dd who will be turning 1 next month. I read at one website that they use low toxicity dyes but are not intended for ingestion. Does that mean that they aren't appropriate for babies who will likely put them in their mouth and suck on them?

Heidi
Mommy to Aidan 11/03 and Amelia 12/06

octmom
11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't have any playsilks, but I have read about (probably here) people buying plain silks and dyeing them at home using Kool-Aid. Not sure if you want to DIY, but it is an option. I'm sure there are directions online somewhere. HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

brittone2
11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
ITA. It isn't hard to dye them w/ koolaid if you are concerned.

Dharma and Thai silks both sell prehemmed white silk scarf blanks. A few packets of sugar free kool aid (or cake decorating pastes, which work good for purple, as koolaid purple is kind of brownish here in the US), a glug of vinegar, and you are good to go :)

lisams
11-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Hmmm, the ones I got for DD have been washed several times so I don't worry about DS (9 months) playing with them. I figure that anything bad must have come out in the wash, lol. He loves playing with them. His favorite game is when I swoosh them above him and then play peek a boo. He also likes shaking them around when he's sitting up. It's very cute!