PDA

View Full Version : Is the Leapster too advanced for an almost 3yo?

SASM
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM
We are planning on getting a Leapster for DS (almost 5) for Christmas. At 2.5, DD wants to do everything that DS does...surprise surprise. She is definitely more advanced at this age than he was at 2.5 (almost 3) ~ I am chalking that up to her being the second child. Anyway...I have been thinking that this MIGHT be an idea for her. She'll be 3 in Feb. If not, are there any other suggestions?

TIA!!

willow33
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I think it would be challenging for your DD. DS#1 has one and he is 4.5, but DS#2 who is 2.5 (3 in April) can't quite master it yet. He tries it, but gets frustrated with it quite easily. Maybe try the leappad or other leapfrog products?

Tondi G
11-10-2007, 07:53 PM
It will probably be difficult for her but you never know, each child is different! If you do get it for her buy the Mr Pencil learn to draw and write cartridge! They also have these videos for the leapster as well!

http://www.leapfrog.com/en/families/leapster/leapster_learning/lg_letterfactory.html

some of the games say they are geared for ages 3-5. If you buy it and it's too difficult she will grow into it pretty quickly!!!!

Good Luck

~Tondi

shishamo
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
My third child just turned three in October, and she does play with leapster, and she def. likes it more than leappad. It is not that easy for her, but she is able to use the pencil and navigate, etc. I would get it for your daughter, provided that she may need to grow into it. It comes with simple games like drawing and coloring, and that's probably enough for this age group.
My daughter has a very good fine motor coordination for a her age, and I think that is the key for her enjoyment. As for content, a lot of what she plays with is over her head (the leapsters are for my 5 and 7 year olds) but she does not seem to mind.

SASM
11-19-2007, 12:10 AM
I just wanted to say "thank you" for your responses!! I have really been debating about this one. I am thinking that if I find a good deal on one, I'll get it, and then save it for her birthday if she expresses enough interest in DS's.

THANK YOU again!!