PDA

View Full Version : Which one to buy? Leapster or Leapster L-Max?

BabyBoo
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I want to buy DD(4 y.o) a Leapster for Christmas. I just am not sure if the L-max is worth the extra $. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks.

MMMommy
11-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I haven't had any experience with either, but I just ordered the Leapster L-Max for $69.99 and free shipping through Amazon.com. I figured for $10 more, why not get the L-Max and at least have the option to use the tv function. The regular Leapster seems to be about $59.99 on average.

casey118
11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I went with the Leapster. I heard mixed on the L-Max- some reviews thought it was great to plug into the TV, some thought the picture quality was too poor when plugged in (although some also said that their kids didn't care), and some never plugged it into the TV. We have a Wii so I didn't think it was likely we would be plugging into the TV often (and didn't really want the option when away from home). I bought the Leapster in a package at Costco which came with 2 games for $80 (I think). They games are supposed to be fun ones (I Spy and an Animal one), so I figured I was getting 2 games for $20 (which is the cost over the Leapster alone). It also has a game cartrigde wallet.

fauve01
11-13-2007, 03:44 AM
i got DD the l-max because there are more game options. leapster games work on l-max but not vice versa (l-max games do not work on leapster). i read good reviews on a couple l-max games so i just got it. we have never plugged into the tv, but i guess it's nice to have that option.

the l-max games are more expensive than the leapster.

really if the costco option had been available when i purchased i would have gotten whatever bundle they had. it's a good deal.

anne + dd 10-03

Joolsplus2
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I thought they DID work on leapster, but some of the features were missing? or it only shows on the console, not the tv?

Anyway, the price difference used to be huge and I didn't want the kids to take up my TV, so we have the regular Leapster and have quite liked it (gosh, it's been almost 5 years now we got the first one...wow...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

BabyBoo
11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks ladies. I'll go check out the Costco one first. If it really is a better deal, then we might just buy that and save the extra money for more cartridges :)

MMMommy
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
I saw the set at Costco--$79.99 and it comes with a regular green Leapster, a cartridge wallet, and the "I Spy" and "Animal Genius" games. I remember not wanting those particular games as much--I really wanted to get "Letters on the Loose" and the Mr. Pencil game. So I was better off not getting that set. It's a good deal if you want those games.

ajmom
11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
We bought the Leapster for DS1 for his birthday (5) and we're buying 1 for DS2 (almost 4) for Christmas. We have been very happy with it. I didn't have any intentions of hooking into the TV anyway (too much of a hassle- I guess I'm lazy!) so the Leaspster has been perfect for us!

supercalifragilous
11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
After speaking with several mom friends whose kids had the L-Max but never played it on the TV (just as a handheld), I got the regular Leapster set @ Costco. DD really likes the animal game that came with it. She's still a little young for the I-Spy one since she can't read.

The moms also said that they get used to it as a handheld game and when they've tried to play games with their L-Max on the TV, it was weird to the kids to have to look at the TV screen instead of the handheld game. In the end, their pricier L-Max was essentially reduced to a Leapster anyway, having rarely invoked the TV plug-in option.

FWIW, the Dora L-Max game works on DD's Leapster. I read that all the L-Max games will work on a regular Leapster (says so on the box) but additional features are available if you play it on an L-Max machine. I figure DD has enough games she doesn't even know about the special features and isn't missing out.

BabyBoo
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
It's decided now. After DD2's doctor's appointment we will head to Costco and pick up the Leapster and then head to TRU to pickup one extra game ;)

I guess we don't really need to plug it in to the TV either. Depending on our Christmas budget next year, we would like to buy the Wii. So I guess we don't need anything else to hog the TV.

Thanks, always great advice/opinions here.

Thank you.