PDA

View Full Version : NO BATTERIES PLEASE

mommabear
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a DS almost 3 and an DD 3mon. Any suggestions for gifts. I don't want toys with lights and sounds etc... Any Suggestions?
Thanks

hazel
11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Shopping cart
Basketball hoop and ball
Soccer goal and ball
Play kitchen
Unit blocks
Superhero cape
Tricycle or ride on

JBaxter
11-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Tonka trucks
Pirate ship
wooden trains
Band in a box ( for the bravest of mommies LOL)
Plan Toys garage
lace & trace cards

ellies mom
11-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Easel
large magneatos
holztiger or schliech animals

zephyr
11-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Wooden activity cube
Wooden work bench and tools
A ride-on pony/animal
Stacking cubes
I was also going to suggest a xylophone but you said no sounds...

brittone2
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
You can google for Montessori Toys or Waldorf Toys online and you'll find a ton of the ideas mentioned above.

Is plastic, but non battery powered okay, or do you prefer wood?

I'll give you a fun list of retailers since the other people mentioned actual toys:

www.ooompa.com
www.maukilo.com
www.moolka.com
www.threesisterstoys.com
www.forsmallhands.com
www.finewoodentoys.com
www.magiccabin.com
www.novanatural.com
www.hearthsong.com
www.barclaywoods.com
www.maplelandmark.com

Stuff easier to find in brick and mortar stores:
art supplies (pom poms, feathers, glue sticks, markers, Do-a-dot style markers, foam shapes, stickers, crayons, play doh)

Board games (Hi Ho Cherry Oh, Memory, Don't Spill the Beans, etc. Online you can also find great games by Haba or Family Pasttimes)

Legos, Duplo, etc.

Sand and water table

Puzzles (Ravensburger, etc.)

For the three month old you can always include some practical stuff like a sippy cup, bibs, socks, something like Hanna mocs or Robeez, tights, clothes, a rattle or two (Haba and Selecta make nice wooden ones. Some of the Waldorf stores online sell neat cherry wood ones, etc.) DD was only a few weeks old for her first Christmas, so we mostly just bought things she'd need anyway. Oh, and MIL sent a piggy bank for her, which was a cool gift for a little one.

Momof3Labs
11-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Both of my boys have loved the Parents Magazine Animal Hospital ($20 at Target) - it's definitely a toy that was worth the money. No lights, no sounds, no batteries. Great for your 3yo.

o_mom
11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Now, be honest - the flashlight has a light AND a battery. ;-)

Of course our flashlight stopped working after a month, so we never needed more batteries... the rest of the set is great and well worth the money.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I didn't even remember that the set had a flashlight! Ours got separated from the set so long ago (we've had the toy for at least 2 years).

hazel
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
www.barclaywoods.com mentioned above has 20-30% off block kits through tomorrow, November 20. They offer maple wood blocks made in the US as well as imported blocks from Europe.