PDA

View Full Version : safe makeup

wendmatt
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
A good friend of mine has ordered her DD a make up kit from Lillian Vernon and it says it is safe and non toxic but she is worried now with all the china stuff being recalled. She called the company and they said it was definately safe but she is still concerned. I said I would ask here as you are all so knowledgable to see what you thought.
Thanks for any opinions.

brittone2
11-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Considering they've found pigments in adult lipsticks made with lead (www.ewg.org has info on this in their skin deep section I'm sure), I'd be concerned. Even high end lipsticks had lead pigments, as did more "natural" companies like Burt's Bees. It might be low levels (*some* amount of lead is allowable in toys and candy, believe it or not), but personally, I"m not comfortable w/ that when I can avoid it because it gets ingested, especially something you are putting on your lips.

The other thing is that personally, for my own use, I don't like anything containing parabens makeup-wise. Parabens are in most adult makeup, and I would bet they are in the children's kit. I guess it depends on your definition of "safe" there.

wendmatt
11-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks Beth, it's terrible what they can put in make up and call it safe isn't it. Her DD desperately wanted the makeup, so I guess she'll have to decide.

1964pandora
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM
It helps me to remember that my primary concern should be the safety of the toiletries/chemicals I am using on my kids on a regular basis and the chemicals in their environment. In other words, we should primarily concern ourselves with body burden--the chemicals that build up in our bodies over time because of repeated exposure. I look up all of the toiletries that I use on my kids on the Environmental Working Group website. I wouldn't worry that much about the makeup kit since she's already purchased it. I probably wouldn't purchase it again, since I'm sure it has artificial fragrances in it, and parabens for sure. I think it's most important to pay attention to the safety of the toiletries she uses on her kids on a regular basis. In other words, the makeup probably isn't the greatest, but it's limited use wouldn't concern me all that much. I'm having a hard time spitting this out! Hope I'm making sense!