PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln logs, yeah or nay?

hootchtopher
11-21-2007, 01:50 PM
4yr DS wants Lincoln Logs for xmas and Costco has a big set. I would get them, but I remember as a child not caring for them. Now DS is a builder and loves his Mega blocks, Duplos, Legos, and unit blocks. So maybe it's a preference difference and the toy is not a dud. Just wondering if anyone has them and they get played with.

Thanks,
Karen

brittone2
11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
nak-
we have some and put them away for a while (DS got them when he was about 3; he's almost 4 now) as they were kind of frustrating as only certain pieces worked together in certain ways. YMMV.

egoldber
11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I think it depends a bit on his fine motor. My DD likes hers now, but it took awhile. She was probably an older 5 before she really got into them.

redhookmom
11-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I liked Lincoln Logs when I was kids. I bought them for my son when he was 5 and he did not play with them. Just got them back out this past summer (he is 8) and plays with them daily. He use them in the landscapes he sets up with all of his playmobil men.

hootchtopher
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all your replies, I think I'll hold off for now.
Seems like they maybe better when he's a little older.
Karen

new_mommy25
11-21-2007, 10:37 PM
My DS who is 4 likes them but prefers for me to build things and then he plays with them.

MommytoEliana
11-22-2007, 10:23 PM
My DD (3.5) loves them. She's just really gotten into them the last month or so. She likes to have us build things with her, but then she is able to pretty much re-create them playing on her own. We got her the Wild West set that Sam's Club had last year, and we're thinking about getting some more pieces to add on.

Cheri

jessicallyn
11-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Actually, Nay.

My 2 DS's, born builders both, love pretty much all of the construction sets (unit blocks, legos, marble runs, tinker toys) but just never warmed up to the Lincoln Logs.

I bought them a decent sized set when DS1 was 6 and DS2 was 4. Nothing. I hauled it out again one year later. Still nothing.

The other types of building materials are much more open ended and, I think, that much more fun in the long run. I'd buy a small set of Lincoln Logs if DS is that enthralled, but I wouldn't put that much money OR storage space into it.

Good luck