PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting rid of all your MIC toys?

Sweetpea972
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I noticed this morning that most of my 6 month old DS's toys are MIC...leapfrog, manhattan toys, etc. He is totally mouthing everything and am wondering if I should get rid of all this stuff?
What have you done? I do have a few non MIC toys that he can play with but all the cute stuff that he seems to enjoy is MIC.

smilla653
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
For the next baby, yes! Most of the baby toys we initially bought for DS are stained wood or fabric, and when I packed them away, I got rid of all the plastic and MIC stuff (this was even before the recall). Now that he is older, it is harder to completely avoid them.... even with a minimum of plastic toys and licensed characters, we still got affected by the recalls because DS loves trains!

But when they are babies, they really don't need many toys. I say go for it.

hillview
11-23-2007, 09:22 PM
No we aren't. We got rid of the non-name brand ones. We kept the leap frog table and several others. For things he can put in his mouth we are trying to get wooden ones that are not MIC but it is SO hard.
/hillary

Jenn98
11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Not right away, but we are moving in that direction. I am about to gather up all the toys and do a big purge in prep for the holidays and I think I may just purge more than normal.

giavila
11-24-2007, 12:59 AM
We don't plan to immediately, but eventually will try to replace a good amount of it, focusing on the baby stuff for DD2 because she does mouth a lot.

It's harder for the older one causes she asks for specific things so were gonna try as well, but I have a feeling it's gonna be really hard to stick to it.

punkrockmama
11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Am I getting rid of all our MIC toys? Nope.

Basically, we don't have that much to begin with. I like wooden toys for them both. And most of their stuff comes from USA, Germany, and the like. Thinking of it right now, I *believe* the only plastic stuff they have is bottles their bubbles come in. Wait! I take that back, Layla has plastic Sassy stacking cups and Peyton has a lego pirate ship.

We have M&D and Target food. And for me, my house, and my kids, I am OK with that.

ellies mom
11-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Nope.

I'm pretty picky about the types of toys I buy for Ellie anyways, so the MIC toys we have are staying unless I find a specific reason to replace a specific toy.

crimsonowl
11-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Going forward, we're trying to avoid plastic and most MIC toys. But, DD does have a LeapFrog learning table and FP Learning home that she absolutely loves playing with. For my peace of mind, I purchased lead test strips and tested these items in several places. Both were okay. So, rather than ditch the MIC items you already have, I recommend doing your own lead tests --- the tests aren't failsafe, but they can give you some reassurance. Good luck!

Canna
11-24-2007, 02:12 PM
No, I don't plan to.

sweetpea
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
No. But I'm thinking about it.

I just bought a 100 pack of the Lead Inspector test and am going to test a bunch of stuff...
I doubt these tests are that great but this brand is supposed to be rated well so I'm going to try it and hopefully get some peace of mind. So far I've tested our MIC dishes and it's a terrible chore because the chemical produces a rotten egg smell. It's pretty gross.

updacountry
11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
OK, I'm stumped what are MIC toys?

kijip
11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
>Nope.
>
>I'm pretty picky about the types of toys I buy for Ellie
>anyways, so the MIC toys we have are staying unless I find a
>specific reason to replace a specific toy.

This sums it up for me. My opinion may be colored by the fact that my son is too old to be mouthing things anyways. I am not buying new Thomas trains right now but the ones we have, which I have tested selectively, are staying. That is the only thing that has been a concern that we have owned.

hillview
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Made In China = MIC