PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean dog pee out of orthopedic foam?

Radosti
11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
So, my parents' pitty mix has been asking for a cuddler bed for Hanukkah. She has been doing so by stuffing herself into any and all kitty cuddler beds and contorting herself to fit in the process. So, since she is visiting for Thanksgiving (with the schnauzer), I gave her the hanukkah present early. I bought her one of these beds in her size with some room to stretch out:

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3759545t400.jpg

She loves it. However, I must not have noticed, but there is a disgruntled family member around (the schnauzer). All he ever wants is Greenies, so he got those for Hanukkah, but he still decided that he got the short end of the stick. So, he peed in her brand new bed. By the time I noticed it today, it was dried up. I took the cover and washed it, but there was still pee on the orthopedic foam part. I sprayed it down with Nature's Miracle and blotted it from both sides with paper towels. I did that 3 times. Then, I put the foam insert outside in the sunshine. It's still moist, but I think I can still smell a hint of dog pee.

What else works on that? Sheba is looking for her bed and is pretty distraught. I had a talk with the schnauzer about being spiteful and he promised to not do that again. Not sure I can trust him, but maybe it was the newness that attracted him. So, now that it's been washed, he promised not to pee on it.

Any ideas welcome!!!

ellies mom
11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
It can take several days for the Nature's Miracle to really work, so maybe wait a few days to see if it is better and then try again?

bubbaray
11-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Natures Miracle and sunlight are your best bet. It might take a few applications. You could try washing in a solution of Simple Green, which is pet friendly. Or you could try soaking in a vinegar solution, maybe sprinkle with baking soda first, then the vinegar.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Radosti
11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I soaked it in Simple Solution OxySolution for Pets, blotted it and left it in the sun. The foam is now discolored where the solution ran, but it no longer smells and Sheba has her bed back. Thanks!!!