PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Number Bed?

Bean606
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have this, and do you love it? DH has major back pain, and we checked one out at the mall this weekend, but not sure we want to spend the cash unless it is really worth it. Would love to hear from people who have one.

Fairy
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey there. We don't have one. However, we checked this out several years ago when we were bed shopping, as well, and the one big drawback that I read about most was that it was exceedingly noisy. From what I understand, the stores have the air pressure unit behind the wall and somewhat noise-proofed so that customers don't hear it; but, when you get it home, that's the first thing that hits you in the face is ohmigod, this is really loud. So, if you're gonna shift gears alot, that's something to consider, tho I'd think that if you choose a number and stay there, there's not really an issue. Now, this was 9 years ago, so who knows what kind of changes have been made to the product.

Here's what I found on ePinions.com
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Select_Comfort_Mattress_Sleep_Number_5000.

Sorry I don't have any actual BTDT, tho . . .

AbbysMom
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
We have one. I also have a bad back. I herniated a disc a couple years ago and still wake up every day with back pain. They did a demonstration in the store showing the pressure on your back with the bed and without. I'm not sure I believe that it really helps to relieve pressure on a bad back but my husband likes his bed supersoft and I like mine hard so it seemed like a good solution. It certainly hasn't made my back pain go away but who knows is it's better than it would have been...

About the noise, the more you pay, the quieter the pump is. The truth is though, once you have it on a comfortable setting, you rarely change it so it isn't really a major issue.

caheinz
11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
There's no noise issue with ours. We didn't buy the highest one, but it might have been second best -- and it's now been almost 6 full years.

We have the same issue (reversed) -- DH likes a firm mattress, I need a softer one, so this has worked out great for us. (My only problem is that DS and both cats also prefer the soft side!)

DH has some back pain, and it invariably gets much worse when we leave home. So, at least for him, it does help his back.

Bean606
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info. Do they use regular sheets, or are is the mattress too deep for regular sheets?

MissyL11
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
We have one too and love it. It does take regular sheets. They do have sales a couple of times a year where they discount the older models when they are coming out with a new model.

mommysammi
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
We almost got one but didn't because of one major issue. After researching online, I found out that depending on where you live is humid or not, a condensation forms on the bed. It's no big deal if you don't mind wiping it here and there but I didn't want to deal with the possible mold spores. We live in a pretty humid part of the country. I asked the salesman about it and surprisingly, he told me that what I read was true but it doesn't deter many people from getting the bed. HTH.

emilys_mom
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
We've had ours about 2 years and love it. We use normal sheets.