PDA

View Full Version : First bike size?

kijip
11-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Toby is 43 inches tall or thereabouts. He outgrew his trike (we had the smallest Kettler, the Junior). For a two wheeler with training wheels, what size do your start out with? I was thinking 14 inch when I went to look but those were too small IMO, especially since he is only going to keep growing. I can choose between 16 and 18 inches. His inseam falls within the guidelines for either size. But man those things look huge, esp the 18 inches (more so compared to his tiny trike, LOL.) Looking for BTDT advice for 4-6 year olds getting first two wheeler and what size wheel you picked and it you think that was the best decision. Maybe 18 inches looks huge but won't so much this summer when it is most likely going to see more use? Seat can be lowered and raised. I am guessing for 18 inches, the seat would start out in the lowest position.

Also, recommended brands? We looked for used and um, not looking good around here in terms of quality and price...will buy new. But not looking to spend a whole lot.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little 4 year old munchkin Toby.
The butter melts out of habit, you know the toast isn't even warm. -Ani DiFranco

MommytoEliana
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
We bought my DD a 16" for her birthday this summer--she was about 40.5" inches at the time, I think. She's around 42" now and it still fits her well. I anticipate it lasting for at least another year or two. It's a Schwinn from Babies R Us. Not nearly as nice as something from REI or a pro bike store, but perfect for this age. She loves it.

Cheri

Twoboos
11-27-2007, 10:27 PM
We just got DD1 at 16in for her 4th bday (She's around 41.5in). She went from a 10in to that - it seemed gi-normous the first time she rode it!! But it looks more normal now, and she got the hang of riding it pretty quickly.

It's a Barbie one (blech!) from Target. Obviously I wasn't present at the actual purchasing of said bike. :-) The thing is so covered with the barbie logo, I can't even tell what brand name it is! Sorry, no help there...