PDA

View Full Version : Britax vs Alpha Omega???

Corey
07-10-2000, 10:35 AM
Has anyone heard or have any opinions about the Alpha Omega? Especially in comparison to the Britax Roundabout.

Thanks,
Corey

Jessie
07-12-2000, 11:30 AM
My friend has the AO while I have the RA. Both are very nice carseats. I think the RA strap adjustment is a little easier to use when in the rearfacing position (ie, for tightening), as my friend complains a lot about the AO in this regard. But that could just be the way her carseat is installed and the car that she owns.

One nice feature about the RA is that it comes in a denim fabric cover that doesn't heat up quite as quickly as the AO's dark fabric does. I don't know if the AO has that little round pad under the seat buckle that protects your child's skin in hot weather against very hot buckles? RA does and we like that.

AO seems to be a more versatile seat, in the sense that it converts into a booster-right??? That's at least how they market it. Given its lower pricing, it might be offering more.

jenn
07-12-2000, 07:17 PM
I too am looking at buying the alpha omega. There is very little info out there on this car seat. I have tried to compare it to the Britax numerous times. Consumer Reports has nothing on it yet, however the Britax only is fair and not rated as high as I had originally expected. I do know after looking at them both. The AO is tall. If you have a small car check out the heighth. If you find anything out let me know.. Thanks. Jenn

My friend has the AO while
>I have the RA.
>Both are very nice carseats.
> I think the RA
>strap adjustment is a little
>easier to use when in
>the rearfacing position (ie, for
>tightening), as my friend complains
>a lot about the AO
>in this regard. But
>that could just be the
>way her carseat is installed
>and the car that she
>owns.
>
>One nice feature about the RA
>is that it comes in
>a denim fabric cover that
>doesn't heat up quite as
>quickly as the AO's dark
>fabric does. I don't
>know if the AO has
>that little round pad under
>the seat buckle that protects
>your child's skin in hot
>weather against very hot buckles?
> RA does and we
>like that.
>
>AO seems to be a more
>versatile seat, in the sense
>that it converts into a
>booster-right??? That's at least
>how they market it.
>Given its lower pricing, it
>might be offering more.

LMom
07-12-2000, 11:39 PM
Britax carseats are the safest for a child. The Roundabout is the only carseat with a rear-facing tether, which greatly improves the stability of the carseat. Carseat are not an area on which to compromise in order to save money. Also, Cosco has a very bad reputation for most everything they make.

zeebergee
07-13-2000, 09:48 AM
>Has anyone heard or have any
>opinions about the Alpha Omega?
> Especially in comparison to
>the Britax Roundabout.

A good friend of mine has the Roundabout and loves it - for her car (Nissan Maxima). Unfortunately, it doesn't fit well in her husband's Pathfinder in the rear facing position. Make sure you check this out.

Also, when they had the state police secure the Roundabout in the car, they gave our friends a list of seats they recommended and the Alpha Omega was one of them - I'd list the others here, but I've forgotten them.

I'd be interested in what others have to say on this as well -

Mae

raynjen
12-19-2000, 12:26 PM
The new Alpha Omega comes with both rear facing and forward facing tethers.

joodyjr
12-19-2000, 09:54 PM
Consumer reports recently had an article about car seats and stated the Cosco Alpha Omega had an excellent crash test result in the front facing position w/tether. It did well w/rear facing as well.

joodyjr
01-01-2001, 12:48 AM
update to my previous post....
I bought the alpha omega for my husbands truck and although we haven't installed it yet, I did put my son in it and fool w/the straps. It is extremely easy to get him in and out. I really like it and hope it installs well in hubbys Ford pickup.
However, it looks much too large to fit in my Nissan Altima. So I bought the Britax for my car, which hasn't arrived yet. To tell you the truth, I feel they are both very safe car seats, that based solely on my research, not actual use.

joodyjr
01-16-2001, 09:16 PM
Update to my update to my previous post... ha ha. Starting my own book here..
Installed both Roundabout and Alpha omega. Love them both. Roundabout was a perfect purchase for my car (we use that the most) and Alpha Omega perfect for hubby's truck, (only uses that to take son to Grandma's in the morning..) since it converts to the booster seat, I think we'll get alot of years out of this, and our money's worth.. (which by the way was ebay $116 and bought another for Grandma's car $117 @ Mercata.com, price includes shipping) Very happy with purchase and feel good that son is safe and secure either vehicle!
Side note: would have bought another Roundabout for hubby's vehicle if we used it much more