PDA

View Full Version : Britax Roundabout Consumer Report Rating

stacydille
07-19-2000, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to decide between the Britax RA, the Century SmartMove XT, and the Cosco Alpha Omega. Just when I thought I had decided on the Britax, I read the Consumer Report ratings which listed it as only Good/Fair in safety. I was so surprised based on the glowing review in Baby Bargains.

And even more surprising, the $50 Century 1000STE was the Consumer Report top pick for safety. Until reading the Consumer Report, I had all but eliminated Century from my list due to their recall record. Now, I'm not sure what to believe.

Any advice? I'd hate to spend $200 on an average performing car seat.

Also, do any of the 3 car seats I'm considering have ISOFIX? Consumer Reports claims that Britax was supposed to add it in April, but I'm not sure if they did.

Thanks,
Stacy

Mitch826
07-19-2000, 06:25 PM
Hi Stacy-
You may want to check the most current recalls. In our local paper today there was a blurb about the Britax Roundabouts being recalled. Apparently the gov. feels that it allows for too much head/neck movement should the car be involved in a collision.
Just another variable to consider while being beseiged with choices.
I ended up registering for a Century, however, I'm do in six weeks so I could conceivably change my mind at least a dozen times before then, lol.
Good luck,
Michelle

jojomo18
07-23-2000, 08:52 PM
The recall on the Britax was only on car seats manufactured in march of 99(I believe). There have been no injuries to bring this recall about--it is preventative.
As far as its safety, my sister has had 2 car accidents (one major, one minor) with children in Britax car seats. Both children came out of it free of injuries and both barely made a peep. Everyone I know that has a Roudabout loves it and if you have ever seen a properly installed seat--it does not budge. It's almost as if its part of the car.
As far as the consumer reports article, there was a report in a subsequent issue that clarifies it's average rating. I believe it tested the seat without the tether.
I bought my mother the Century 1000 and it's O.K. but you can't compare it to the Britax.
Britax is like the Mercedes of car seats and definitely worth every cent.

Gator
07-24-2000, 10:30 PM
I have both the Britax Roundabout and a Century 1000 STE.

The Britax Roundabout has been my permanent car seat for many months now and I still like it. It has nice padding and is relatively easy to use and has no annoying locking clip. As for the Consumer Reports rating, if you go through the Baby Bargains archives you'll see that the rep from Britax said that their car seats are also tested in other crashes. The standard US and Consumer Reports tests are on a bench seat that is let down a sled - who has that kind of car (bench) seat anymore? I think, as with anything, it should be taken with a grain of salt. I had my sights on a Evenflo infant car seat after I read the rave reviews in the second Baby Bargains book - a few short months later the new edition came out and I ended up getting a Century.

I also have the new Century 1000 STE with the tether. I like it because it's smaller than the Britax so I use it when I travel (it fits really well on airplanes and in strollers and is somewhat lightweight). The older model my mother-in-law has had a sort of buckle that was on a rubber column that was somewhat annoying. The new one I just bought at Toys R Us just has a 5-point strap. A caveat - this car seat is very difficult to use in the rear-facing position, esp in the middle back seat. The car seatbelt strap goes OVER the car seat - which means you have to bend your child every time to get him/her in and out. With the Britax the seat belt goes right over the place where the child sits, so the child in essence sits on the seat belt instead of having it going over the child. Forward facing, I did not have this problem. Also, if you have a larger child, the Century only goes up to 22 lbs reverse facing whereas the Britax goes up to 30 pounds rear facing.

What I've found is most car seat manufacturers are caught up in one recall or another eventually. The most important things are (1) does the car seat fit securely in your brand of car, (2) is it properly installed, and (3) are you using it correctly (straps, clips, etc.).

Kristine

Corey
07-28-2000, 02:25 AM
I have both the Britax Roundabout and the Century Bravo (a car seat for each car). The Britax is so easy to get the baby in and out of. The clips are great. Even though the Century has a 5-point harness as well, it is not as sturdy. The clip is a cheaper made plastic and more difficult to use.

I also like the fact that the Britax has the extra fabric around the crotch clip so as not to burn the baby if the clip is hot. As an adult comparing the seats, the Britax is much more plush and the fabric is nicer. If it were me sitting in the seat, I would chose the Britax over any of the others that I have seen.

Some of the reasons we purchased the Century for my husband's car are: it does have a tether once it is front facing and most importantly, it fits into my husband's car (Chrysler Concorde) more securely than the Britax because it has the VERY adjustable base.

Where or not you choose the Britax, the important thing is to make sure the carseat fits securely in your car. Most places, including Baby's r us, will let you take the seat out to your car and see if it fits well. In my opinion, the Britax is the best, but if it doesn't fit in your car well, it isn't worth a hill of beans.

Corey

ericagorman
09-14-2000, 09:05 AM
My friend was in 4 car accidents. She sustained injuries (not life threatening) in all 4 accidents. Her baby, in his Britax Roundabout, never suffered a single injury. Not even a scratch!! That was enough to convince me!

aylthc
09-18-2000, 08:49 AM
Hi,

We asked Britax about the isofix and they told us it may be available in the spring 2001. We are in the market for a convertible carseat as well and is looking into buying either the Roundabout or the Century Bravo.... we are leaning towards the Roundabout. My husband is a car engineer and likes the lock clips on the Roundabout and thinks it is a more solid car seat overall, but we are going to see how it fits into our vehicle before making the purchase.

Teresa
Michigan

balessingo
10-05-2000, 10:14 AM
It's important to remember that Consumer Reports rates cost as a factor in it's overall recomendations- when your child's safety is at stake, cost SHOULD NOT be an issue. I have the RA for my daughter, and would not use anything else. Try to install it in your car, if you can get a tight fit, there is nothing better.

rodmar
01-06-2001, 12:22 AM
I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for 15 years, and I have never seen them use cost as a factor in their rankings of products. If a highly rated product is significantly cheaper than the others, CR will label it a "Best Buy," but they do not rank it any higher than test results put it. Their ratings are based on factors such as safety and convenience, not cost.

I posted on another topic concerning the Britax reply to CR, but one further thought that I had is that the RA failed one stringent test at CR, but I believe from reading Baby Bargains that it passed other stringent European tests that are not required in the US. So perhaps the balance of passed tests still tips in the RA favor, especially if you use it with a shoulder belt and/or tether, as it is intended to be used.

Marcia

kosmo
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
>I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for 15 years, and I
>have never seen them use cost as a factor in their rankings of
>products. If a highly rated product is significantly cheaper
>than the others, CR will label it a "Best Buy," but they do
>not rank it any higher than test results put it. Their
>ratings are based on factors such as safety and convenience,
>not cost.
>
>I posted on another topic concerning the Britax reply to CR,
>but one further thought that I had is that the RA failed one
>stringent test at CR, but I believe from reading Baby Bargains
>that it passed other stringent European tests that are not
>required in the US. So perhaps the balance of passed tests
>still tips in the RA favor, especially if you use it with a
>shoulder belt and/or tether, as it is intended to be used.
>
>Marcia

Are you sure about that b/c I have also read CR for many year and am almost positive I read that is why the Rounabout was given a lower rating at one point CR could not justify the cost
>

Joolsplus2
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Yes, cost is a factor in their ratings...but this post is 6 years old, I think the original posters are long gone :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx